Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Getting back to reality

So... Christmas came and went. So did New Years. School has started again as well as dance and work and everything that comes with real life. I'm half relieved and half disappointed. I didn't take a single photograph of our Christmas festivities, partly because I'm embarrassed to show how over indulged we all were. Brent got some cute videos, but they're on Brent's phone, not my computer. I went out of town for a week and didn't even bring my camera. Life has passed me by and I've got nothing to show for it.

Apparently I've been on autopilot for a while now and it's time to kick myself and start functioning again... hence the blogging even though I've got nothing to blog about.

Since I haven't got anything to blog about, I thought I'd show you a little Christmas present that I got myself. I'm so thoughtful and I knew exactly what I wanted. I buy myself the best presents.


I'm referring to the red poster on the wall.
The one that says "creative minds are rarely tidy" (as opposed to all the other red posters on the wall)

Basically, I bought this because it made me smile.
It made me smile because my house is ALWAYS messy.
I have said many a time that my house is always messy because my mind is just too free and creative to be restricted by silly conventions... like cleanliness.
I've always said this in jest, but apparently I'm not the only person to have had the thought, which is why I smiled when I saw the poster.

From now on, when you come to my house, I will no longer be constantly apologizing for its current state and will, instead, be hiding behind the guise that I am "a creative mind."

I find the whole thing to be very pleasing.

As you can see from the photo, I've got some room left for another poster and I intend to fill it with one of the following.


or


They are, of course, both parodies of the ever popular...


...that the whole world seems to have a copy of.

Anyone wanna weigh in on which one I should get. I like the one referring despondency, but, I don't know, it kinda makes me just want to sit around. I wonder why.

It will be my own little wall of cynicism. Actually, it's technically a backsplash, so you can call it my backsplash of cynicism. If you're in to that kind of stuff. You know. Technicalities. I'm too creative for them, myself.



*Edited to say... I often talk about a time when I was a teenager and I cleaned my room and kept it clean for like, an entire month, which was an accomplishment for me. After a while, I got so sick of it that I messed it up on purpose. A while ago, I related the story to a friend of mine in my ward. She's probably about my mom's age and I we were talking about how hard it's always been to keep things in order. I thought that she was a kindred spirit and would understand my plight. When I told her my theory about enjoying the mess on a certain level, she said

"no, I don't think that's it. I think you're lazy."

I like her even more now.

7 comments:

Emily Call said...

Laura, you crack me up.

Lynda/Mom said...

So nice to hear from you!!

Grammyzanne said...

Glad you are blogging again - and you always find something entertaining to blog about.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

You funny girl, you. I like the last poster about remaining calm...I need that poster for sure.

Cameron said...

Don't be giving Leslie any ideas.

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

Okay... So on first appearances iphone the poster looked like it was life size and on display in some snazzy empty room. I of course read and enjoyed everything about this post but for the life of me couldn't understand 1.) where on earth in your home is that massive thing? 2.) WHY on earth are you purchasing such large parody posters? and 3.) when did her wood floors become so shiny?

I then re-read and zoomed in and noticed that the ginormica poster also had a ginormica outlet next to it.
The world made sense again.

Allison and Nathan said...

I like the poster that says "I can not do it all", because that's kinda what my kids expect from me . . . and because it's yellow.