Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Creating Life... and then eating it. Part One

Let's face it. I've been married for 9 years in May. I've owned a home with a sizable back yard for 8. I have 3 children, a cat, a dog and a minivan. I make crafts and sell them at local markets for some extra pocket cash. I cook all our meals gluten free and from scratch.


It's about time I figured out how to grow a successful garden.

Funny how overwhelming it can be. But I'm trying. I've got all the goods ready to go, waiting for the snow to stop snowing and in the meantime, I've got all my seeds a-growing in my sunny, warm laundry room. Sow far, sow good. HA! (it's getting late. sorry)


I spent all morning transferring my 72 seedlings and half of Leslie's seedlings into larger pots. Leslie foolishly left her precious sprouts with me for the week while she went gallivanting around Disneyland. She told me to treat her plants like my plants, so when I started replanting mine, I started on hers too. Unfortunately, I realized about half way through that she labeled her tray differently than I did and therefore, her pots are marked wrong. Oops. Instead of a victory garden this year, she'll have a mystery garden. HA! (again, did i mention how tired i am?)


Come on, sweet basil, you can do it! Eat well and get lots of sun so that you can grow big and plump... so that I can eat you.

5 comments:

Emily Call said...

I love when you post late at night... ha ha. Yay for gardens.

Grammyzanne said...

Late night posting does make for interesting reading. Though your postings are usually rather entertaining reading.

Our garden is just about all planted. I want to get some sage and basil at the nursery today and get them planted. Tomato and green pepper plants are planted. Summer squash, green beans and cucumber seeds are planted. If you lived in San Antonio you could have transplanted from your small pots to the garden ;)

weese said...

I would like gardening a lot more if it didn't involve any weeding. Or dirt.

Dennis Carter said...

That title had me a little worried. I wasn't aware of cannibalism amongst the Barron clan! Good thing it turned out to be the vegetable variety!

Saladyia said...

I am having trouble growing my seedlings...got them under grow lights, get them out on the few sunny days we have on the east coast...when they are tall and straggly, that means they were not close enough to the light source. I've watched videos, tried many variations, still losing seedlings! And one of my blogs is a gardening blog! How embarrassing. I'll look forward to watching your garden grow- it's such a great family activity, and getting children involved will affect their views of food for life.