Saturday, March 6, 2010

Animal Instincts

Shortly after my eldest was born, my mom pointed out to me that children are most certainly NOT born civilized human beings. They are born heathens and it's the parents' responsibility to refine them. As far as Charlie in concerned, this definitely the case.


In the past few weeks, he's made some rapid regression to his animal instincts... it's been most disappointing for me. He is currently the most destructive force of nature I've ever encountered, I seriously feel like I'm trying to raise a mischevious monkey as a son.

Anyway, I wanted to post some pictures of his second favorite pastime. His favorite is to drink from his sippy and spit it's contents at anyone or anything within reasonable baby distance. It's super charming, especially when we forget and give him juice. His second favorite pastime is to throw his food on the floor so as to facilitate his eating it like a dog.


"Yum, old Froot Loops."


"What?!"


And I just sit there and allow it to happen. I'm going to have to start working a lot harder if I want to refine this one.

I was not prepared for this. For the record, when it comes to cleaning up messes off the floor, snaking toys out of the toilet, taking screwdrivers and hammers from tiny fingers before they smash in your walls or cabinets or fireplace glass, and chasing around children who've managed to snatch a knife out of the dishwasher while you were trying to unload it (why does he always go for the knives?) boys are way harder.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

He will destroy your house. Destroy I tell you. Davie (as sweet as he is) is already getting into destructo-mode. And Ben is a willing instructor/bad example. Sigh.

Lynda/Mom said...

I have to confess to being somewhat disappointed--when you said you were posting I was anticipating pictures of your new remodel project. It's nice to hear from you anyway. Sorry about Charlie! I guess I was lucky John came along when hie sisters were 4 and up, and you girls definitely helped keep him in line.

MaryAnn said...

I guess I will never know the joys of raising a son - maybe I'm not too sad about that.

Nikkie said...

Yes, Ashton recently carved up my leather couch with a utility knife that he found and stashed in his pocket until I wasn't around. Beware the pockets when he is older-it's a little scary what I find in them.