Sunday, December 28, 2008

Addictions

I am glad to say that I find myself to be fairly vice free. It's a nice thing, not being addicted to alcohol or tobacco or whatever, you know? Not only would that be really annoying, it would also cost a lot of money, and I'd much rather spend my resources in other places. But as with most things, there is an exception... Hello, my name is Laura and I'm a read-a-holic.

Seriously, I don't read novels hardly at all, not because I don't like to read, but because I like to read too much. A couple weeks ago, I found myself in a bit of pickle. You see, everyone I know has been reading those darn Twilight books. I, being very rebellious in nature, promised myself that I would never read them simply because everyone else did and that's a sure fire way to make me not want to do something (I know, it's immature and I need to get over it). Then that stupid movie came out and more and more people started talking about them. Several of the blogs that I read posted about the books and everyone was saying how bad they were and they weren't worth all attention. I guess it was a classic case of any publicity is good publicity because as soon as everyone was talking about how bad they were, I HAD to see if they were really that bad, so when I was in line at the Wal-Mart and staring me down was a paperback copy of the Twilight for a mere $7.48, I was compelled to buy it. I had to teach Sunday School that week and knowing my nature to read too much, I decided to save it until my lesson was over. I picked it up that Sunday and started to read... and read and read and read. I couldn't stop! And when that book was over, I had to pick up the next one and the after that and the one after that. Truth be told, I read all four of those books in 7 days. I figure that's got to be somewhere around 2500 pages. Don't get me wrong, they were all an easy read, but it still takes a certain amount of time to read that many pages and I DO have 3 small children that require almost constant attention.

So, since I read them all so quickly, one would think that I was really into them, right? See that's where the addiction comes in. They weren't that great. I read them, and I was entertained, but I found them to be quite shallow and even annoying at times. The worst part was Bella, who didn't seem to be special in any way shape or form and I couldn't figure out why everyone was all worked up over her. Even though I didn't particularly enjoy them, I was compelled to read them. The house work didn't get done (ok it never actually gets done) I stayed up way too late reading, I ignored my children and was frustrated when anything got in the way of me reading. I can't stop. I hate picking up the book to read and I hate putting it back down. I hate myself for making myself sick with sleep deprivation because I'm reading, I hate myself for trying to force my children into watching 8 straight hours of movies so that they will leave me alone, I hate it all, but if there is a story to be told, I HAVE to get to the end of it. I'm like an unstoppable force of nature.

And of course, since I read the books, I had to go see the movie (which was WAY worse than the book and Bella was even less special and a lot more annoying than she was in the book, I don't think she smiled once and I don't think she and Edward even liked eachother all that much, let alone were willing to die for eachother) and since they are sure to make more mediocre movies, I'll have to go see those too. This is why I don't read.

9 comments:

Danielle said...

I was tormented the whole time I read the books. I fought myself each time I went to pick up the next, but always ended up giving in. I still hate to admit that I really enjoyed reading them. And, I am glad that I decided not to go to the movie...I dont want to see it, but I do...but I wont. Maybe.

Lynda/Mom said...

Nice to see a new post. Amusing and depressing at the same time to read it. I think maybe you should write a book. The way you write, you could do a lot better than the author the the Twilight books. But if you were actually good, you probably wouldn't make any money at it, so maybe not. Love, Mom

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I wondered why you hadn't blogged lately, now I know. That happens to me occasionally...but only when I was in charge of book group and had to read. I like to think of myself as a reader, but after ten years of being married to Jason I know I am really not.

Holly said...

I love to read too! I read the first book & thought it was boring as well. Bella is quite annoying at times. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

MaryAnn said...

We are so alike in this aspect Laura. I have only read the first Twilight book, but when I did I read it in 3 nights - each night staying up way too late. I was so grumpy and disfunctional for those days that I have not allowed myself to start the next one. And it wasn't even a good book!

aaron and allee said...

lol lol lol
I haven't read those books, either. In fact, when my mother-in-law and sisters-in-law all went to go see the movie, I met them for lunch and then left as they went to the theatre. What a jerk, right? If something is popular, I usually want nothing to do with it.
So, are you going to read The Host?
Hope you had a very merry Christmas! Happy 2009!

Andrea said...

I was laughing at your post. I have read the books and enjoyed them while reading--I was entertained. I do remember the addiction of it and I remember driving to Sonic drive in and ordering my children a slushy and turning on a movie so the I could continue to read!

Jenny R said...

I did the same thing - although not in 7 days since I had to drive an hour to get each of the books except twilight (joys of living in the middle of nowhere) - took me 14 days. But i did lose a night of sleep for each book - seriously the whole night.

I have decided there is some subliminal message in the books that keeps you reading and then craving the next one. Yes, they were very annoying in places and certainly over the top but who can resist the epic tale of forbidden love? Started with Romeo and Juliet - then Pride and Prejudice - now the Twilight series.

I think they were a great escape for my brain that was too entrenched in reality - fun to get lost in a fantasy sometimes if you can let yourself ignore the practicalities of things right?

MRSA MOM said...

Hi, my name is Cherolyn, and I also am addicted to reading... I don't read so I don't put the rest of my life on hold, and the twilight books, uhff, GRRRR!