Friday, July 31, 2009

looks like it's whipped cream for breakfast

You know, I really do get sick and tired of feeling as though I'm always just barely functioning. I've felt this way for a long, long time now. At first, I blamed it on the fact that I was pregnant, then on the move to our new house, then I blamed it on having a new baby and now, I'm realizing that this just may be the way life is for me. I don't like it. Every day, it's the same things that drive me nuts. I can't manage to get a single goal accomplished, I don't clean, I can barely get hot dinner on the table and we end up with take out half the time anyway, I forget things, appointments, etc. I'm desperate to feel in control of something. Most of the time, I can just give myself a pep talk and keep moving, but for some reason, this week has been particularly hard to push through.

The other morning, Lizzy awoke and joined me downstairs. As usual, the first thing she did was request breakfast. Breakfast is the one meal that Lizzy eats all day.

"can-i-have-oatmeal?" she asked me. When she says it, it sounds like only one word. It's adorable and so very Lizzy-like. She eats oatmeal every single day for breakfast. Just another one of those things she gets from Brent.

"I'm sorry, honey, but we are out of oatmeal today. I need to go shopping and get some," was my reply. I hadn't been shopping for like a week and pickins' were getting pretty slim.

"oh, can i have some froot loops den?"

"Um, sorry, but we don't have any froot loops either."

At that point she walked inside the pantry looking at what we DID have.

"can i have some kix?"

"We don't have any kix either."

"can i have cheerios?"

"No cheerios today, Lizzy."

She then gave up on the pantry and start making her way over to the fridge.

"can i have some cottage cheese?"

"Lizzy, we don't have any cottage cheese today. I'll get some when we go to the store." And then she looked at me as if to say "what are my options here, mom?" and started going through the list of toddler friendly foods that I generally keep in stock...

"yogurt? string cheese? applesauce?"

She was getting frustrated with me, I could tell. Finally her eyes landed on something she knew we had. She knew it was a long shot, but her options were limited. It was hilarious how carefully and sweetly she said the words, desperate to not screw up this golden opportunity..

"mom... can i have some whipped cweam?"

I thought and sighed a deep sigh. "Sure, have some whipped cream."





And she did.

Jane came downstairs a few minutes later and started yelling "Hey! I want to eat whipped cream for breakfast!"

"May as well," I told her, "not like there's anything else to eat."

It's taking all the strength and confidence I can muster up to keep myself from feeling like a total failure this week.

7 comments:

Emily Call said...

oh, Laura... I love this post so much!!! It's something I would do. ha ha ha.

Kathy said...

Your posts like this make me feel better. Now I know I am not the only mom that feels that way! You are great!

scott said...

If you ever need some oatmeal come out way, we have tons we are trying to use before it gets too old

kriss said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like a TOTAL failure! Don't feel bad, no one can be perfect all the time!

Holly said...

We could totally be friends.

Lynda/Mom said...

Oh, whatever. It only happened once. (So far.) Buck up and go grocery shopping. It's a good thing your kids like whipped cream, I guess.

Katie said...

You can't be a TOTAL failure, because you are one of my very favorite bloggers.

I love this post!