Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Naptime Issues

I love naps. Love them, love them, love them. So tell me... why do my kids hate them so much? I talk to other parents who tell me about their kindergartners that nap after school. I can tell you right now that THAT will never be happening with any of my kids.

At two, Lizzy is currently in full blown nap rebellion. I've tried everything. I've tried putting her down a little early, a little late, I've tried noise machines and a dark room. I've tried having her put Jane down for a pretend nap so that she thinks we're all napping with her, I've tried letting her scream in her room for two hours. I'm out of ideas.

And the view from her room isn't helping any:



It DOES look inviting, doesn't it?

One day I was upstairs trying to work and Jane was outside playing during nap time. I heard the following conversation

Lizzy: jane! i open my window!
Jane (from outside): Did you open it all by yourself?
Lizzy: ya. i in my woom. can you come open da door?

And I was too amused to leave her, I had to go in there and kiss her and hug her and laugh with her for being so cute. She DID open the window all by herself so that she could convince Jane to help her break out. Since then, we've locked her windows and Jane is no longer allowed to play during nap time, but it does no good.

Today, she had been up in her room, quietly, for a hour or so and naturally, I figured she was asleep. Charlie woke up and Jane and I were just watching TV and it's a nice day out, so I figured it was safe to hang out on the back patio. Before long, we heard the now all too familiar tapping on glass. I looked up to find Lizzy knocking at her window, smiling at us and adorably begging to be released. So... I sent Jane up to open her door and when she came down, she came out looking like this:





She took the socks off of her hands before I could get my camera out. My hysterical laughter may have made her feel a little insecure.

I went upstairs and found that her room looked like this:



If I had another photo, you'd see that she emptied out the closet as well.

I think it's safe to say that we have yet another day without a nap.



EDITED TO SAY:

I laughed out loud again as Lizzy and I tried to clean up her room. Apparently her OCD got the better of her and she started to clean up her own mess before she came downstairs. She had pants shoved into sock bins, shoes in the shirt drawer and pretty much everything everywhere. I'm just thrilled that she tried.

4 comments:

Emily Call said...

I love this girl... she is such a funny girl.

MaryAnn said...

That is pretty funny. Lauren and I are struggling with nap time as well. I shut her in her room and leave her in there for hours - some days she sleeps and some days she doesn't. Good luck!

Lynda/Mom said...

I thought I might lose my mind when Leslie gave up her naps before age 2. You were a much better napper. They come in all kinds, but apparently the odds are against you. But you gotta love Lizzy!!

Barbara said...

What an amazing and creative little one!!! Good luck with her.