Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Two of my Favorite Faces

I've been spending a lot of time thinking (and talking) about Brent and Lizzy's relationship lately. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't 'get' Lizzy. But Brent does. I just sit here, clueless, unable to figure out why she does the things she does.

For instance, I have no idea why she stayed up last night in her room climbing up to the shelves to retrieve a vat of newly purchased Cetaphil cream and unloading it's contents onto her carpet. The Butt Paste was sitting right next to it, sealed tightly . Earlier this week, she pulled the same stunt with the Butt Paste... again. See HERE for photos of what all the events have looked like. After a long talkin' to, she promised she wouldn't do that again and, like Brent, she really likes rules so I wasn't worried about another recurrence. Unfortunately, like Brent, she also likes things to be specific and literal and after all, she didn't promise not to spread Cetaphil cream all over the carpet, just Butt Paste.

I also have no idea why she stripped naked, removing even her diaper, then put her pajamas BACK on (minus the diaper, remember) and then proceeded to layer 4 shirts and a pair of shorts over said pajamas.

I have no idea why she insists on wearing socks on her hands and feet while she sleeps.

I have no idea why she took all the bedding off of her bed and slept on the rug last night. None of this makes sense to me. I might have to consult Brent when he gets home.

When Jane used to scream until the blood vessels in her eyes would burst instead of going to bed, it was a little freaky, but I totally understood THAT. I'm sure I've done it several times myself. I also totally get it when she works herself up crying so much that she can't stop and throws fits until she starts gagging and tries throw up. These things make total sense to me.

But I digress...

I think that Brent really likes having a child that he relates to so much. (did he ever do this stuff as a small child?) There's something so satisfying and rewarding to see that regardless of how hard it's been in life trying to fit in or how weird people can make you feel, you know that God must have made you that way, because there's two of you. I feel that way about Jane. She validates me. Problem with our relationship is that we're both so combative that we don't enjoy each other as much as Brent and Lizzy do.

There are so many cases when I just have to walk away from Lizzy and send Brent in for a shift because I don't know how to make her happy or calm her down. Brent always knows how. He just knows how important it is to point out the temple on hill before bed. He reads her just the right stories lingering on the right details and tickles her back in just the right way. It is the sweetest thing I've ever seen.

I've worried about my inability to relate to my daughter, thinking that I won't be able to love her as much as I should and parent the right way for lack of understanding. But I'm starting to get over that because there are two of us, thank goodness. I think part of me loves her because I don't 'get' her, not in spite of it. After all, I don't really 'get' Brent either. I'm glad they have each other.

1 comments:

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I love the picture of dad and daughter. You are a really good writer. I enjoyed catching up on your posts.