Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday

Have I mentioned that Brent has started school again?

Brent has started school again.

He's going back to get his MBA and while I'm not jazzed about all the work that it takes, it's just one of those things that we have to do, lot's of people have to do it, it's best just to get it over with. Fortunately for me, when deciding on a program, my husband decided to put our needs first and ended up going to the University of Phoenix.

**side note**

I recall a friend coming to me in college and asking me exactly what she was supposed to say to someone who told her that they were attending the University of Phoenix. Having recently been in the same uncomfortable situation, I knew exactly what to say.

"Oh! That must be really good for your schedule!"

And you know what? I was right. It IS really is good for our schedule. Brent only takes one class at a time... and only has to be in class one night a week... and he should be done in a little over a year... and then he'll have a degree... from the University of Phoenix. A more practical than prestigious route, but we're kinda over prestige right now.

So anyway, tonight was Brent's night for school.

And even though he's only actually gone one night a week, I dread Brent's school night. Allow me to remind you that I consider myself to be completely emotionally unstable and everyday it feels as though I can only hang on to my wits for so long. Then, right as I'm about to loose it, Brent always walks through the door and saves us all from one my frequent mental break downs. Does anyone else think that right before dinner is the hardest part of the day? Waking up in the morning and knowing that there won't be anyone to save me at 5:30 makes me want to just pull the covers over my head and pretend that I don't have kids (that I really do love very very much).

But somehow, I tend to pull through on school nights. Perhaps it's just knowing that I'm on my own or maybe it's the Lord having mercy on my fragile self, but it usually seems as though I deal with the day and the kids a lot better on school nights (i really like calling them school nights. i've also found that i enjoy asking brent 'what he learned in school today' when he gets home. i'm willing to entertain the possibility that i might be lame.)

After losing out on picking up carpool to Jana, I was the big winner and got to have Jane's friends over for most of the afternoon. You should all be so lucky to have friends that make you feel as though these things are a contest. They were great all day, and I was able to be super productive.

And when it was dinner time, instead of breaking down and screaming at each other, with the exception of Lizzy who was really very tired, we decided to enjoy ourselves. Lizzy brought out the camera and Jane wanted to take photos of our 5 buck pizza picnic in the back yard. It had originally been scheduled for the front yard with an accompanying bike ride, but the neighbor's pug roaming free in the circle was more than Jane's nerves could tolerate.









Jane insisted that I take a photo her "gold tooth"

How many 5 year olds do you know who have crowns? How about 2 crowns? Because in addition to the 'gold tooth' on the right, you may notice the massive cavity on the left side of her mouth. That one will be crowned on Monday. I might be the worst mother ever. I swear we brush he teeth with her every day. I swear. Don't judge me, the dentist's office has done enough of that this week. The upshot is that Jane thinks it's really cool... so we have that going for us.

And I got the kids all bathed and in bed early so that I could enjoy a night of really good TV and blogging.

7 comments:

Emily Call said...

University of Phoenix IS really good for people with young families. It is hard, but it will be SO worth it... Justin still has a few more classes to take and then he will start studying for the CPA... joys of school life. Hang in there. It is totally worth it.

Kathy said...

Way to go! John is gone on Mon and Wed. nights til 9 pm and Tues. and Thurs. nights til 7 pm. It is a real struggle and takes every bit of strength you have!

MaryAnn said...

I agree - right before dinner is the hardest time. Tim often isn't home until after I have already put the kids in bed, so I feel your pain. Hang in there!

Leslie said...

Cam doesn't seem to understand that I'm usually hanging by a thread by 5:30. Yes 15-30 minutes late is THAT big of a deal. I'm glad our school days are over.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Definately, right before dinner is the hardest part of the day. I sometimes say I would enjoy cooking if someone would entertain my children every day from 4 -5:30 so I could cook gormet meals without the whining, leg grabbing, crying, and screaming to accompany my efforts. I do somnetimes wish I had a husband who came home the same time every night. Sigh. Katie has had 7? cavities filled. Jeremiah none. So, I think there is something to say for just inheriting bad enamel as they really do get the same amount of dental care.

Lynda/Mom said...

I see the young monthers all relate to you, and the older ones can still remember. You may work hard to have dinner on the table at 5:30 or 6:00 p.m., and if the man of the house doesn't arrive right on time, you wonder why you even tried! It won't last forever, but right now you don't believe that.

Anonymous said...

Brynna has two crowns... she would have 3 but one of them developed an abscess and had to be pulled (about a year after the crown was put on.) So... you aren't alone in your dental woes - it does make you feel like a bad parent though. :)