Monday, September 20, 2010

JOOTD

Fact: the 80s are back.


Some of us love it. Some of us hate it. Most of us don't quite understand it, but it's true. Coral, brass, wallpaper, lace, big hair, mint green, skinny jeans, 3D glasses. It's all here.

(deep breath)

I've been telling myself that every decade comes back, but with a new, modern twist. Which makes it ok... right? Even still, I've been hesitant to let the 80s back into my life, which has turned out to be harder than I thought it would be mostly because my daughter, who has obviously never lived through the 80s, thinks its all totally awesome.

All in all, I felt like we were doing a good job with ourselves and mostly with Jane, walking that line between being trendy and being stylish.
And then it happened.

Leslie found her old crimping iron.
Leslie found her old crimping iron and brought it to our house.
Leslie found her old crimping iron and brought it to our house and Jane immediately fell in love with it.
Leslie found her old crimping iron and brought it to our house and Jane immediately fell in love with it and demanded that I crimp her hair today and then got herself dressed and went to school looking like this:


And as I watched my little munchkin trot off to catch her ride, I realized that the battle was over. I've lost. I'm fairly certain that I had that exact same outfit when I was in first grade, only I think that my jeans had alternating blue and purple threads to give'm that extra somethin' somethin'.

It's ok. I can do this. After all, I was born in 1980 and I didn't really hit my heyday until they were over and I was in high school. That's right, I technically lived through the 80s, but I'm a child of the 90s... and that's what scares me. Because as soon as we're all done with the 80s, we'll move on to the next decade and I know full well what's ahead.


It's called grunge.



And I DID live through that.


And I wore those jeans, only bigger. And I held them up with a rope tied around my waist.


And I'm nervous.


Very nervous.

8 comments:

Kriss said...

Don't be nervous. I lived through the 90's also without doing grunge at all. Of course, I was WAY TOO PREPPY, so that was a problem in itself. I do remember that "baggy" was in. I wish teenage boys these days would find a happy medium between baggy and skinny jeans. So hideous!

Lynda/Mom said...

Jane looks adorable--love the hair! I hope the 90's get skipped. Maybe we'll all be so poor that grunge will be worn out of necessity, and therefor not be cool. Hey day? Maybe?

Kathy said...

I am so with you on that. I look back on the 90's and what I dressed like and I get sick.

Leslie said...

Well when the 90s come back at least Brent will have an ample supply of oversized plaid shirts.

Laura Stringham said...

I've made it my mission in life to rid us all of those plaid shirts. Jane will have to go buy them back from the DI if she wants them.

Jason&Shannon said...

Jane does look cute, but I can't get behind the 80's return. Good thing my daughter is not so fashion concious as yours. I just keep waiting for stirrup pants.

Cameron said...

It could be worse. I could continue my secret plot to get rid of Leslie's stuff I don't like such as her old lady sweater that has little lint balls falling off of it because it's so old and been washed too many times. It even comes with used Kleenex in the pockets that get discovered when she digs it out every year around this time. It would basically take you back to the 1970's which is a depressing, dismal decade that I don't think anyone wants to remember. So be happy with the '80's crimping iron it could be worse. I'm just glad we got rid of it.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to see pictures of Laura in grunge attire...
(Nicole)