Monday, September 27, 2010

A Sunday walk + LOOTD

On Sunday, Brent was lamenting that, as a family, we never do anything "Sunday-ish" after church.

Then I started lamenting because this, my friends, is a true fact.

But, instead of dwelling on our shortcomings as parents and people who should probably be doing more with our Sunday afternoons, we decided to take a stroll. Brent recommended that we head over to the Temple Quarry trail at the mouth of Cottonwood Canyon. Have you ever been there? Apparently, there's a mt. biking trail (hence Brent's intimate knowledge of the area) but there's also a little, short paved trail with markers all over so that you can stroll around and take in tidbits of information about the area and the granite that was used to build the Salt Lake Temple at your leisure. By the way, are you aware that the granite used to build the Salt Lake Temple isn't actually granite? It's quartz. Who knew? You learn new things every day. Especially when you spend that day reading markers on the Temple Quarry Trail.

So anyway, we told the kids to get their shoes and get in the car, and before we knew it, Lizzy showed up looking like this...


(I tried to get a good picture of her, mom. Honest, I did.)

And then she told me that she was wearing her "BYU sweatshirt," which, as a Ute, I found to be offensive on several levels.


Good grief. Where did I go wrong? I'm going to have to pay closer attention to who she's spending her time with.

And then she asked to go to the bathroom about 5 times. And all they had was a latrine. And it smelled bad. And there were flies in there. And I made Brent take her. Because it was gross.


Aside from the whole latrine thing, we had a really nice time galloping around and communing with nature.


And the kids walked away remembering that sometimes, they actually like each other.
I think that we're going to have to do "Sunday-ish" things more often.

5 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Wonderful way to spend the time on a Sunday! Glad you enjoyed it, and the kiddies are cute. Love you all!

scott said...

I am glad to hear Lizzy isn't being badly influenced by your Ute background! Hopefully she continues on the right path.

MaryAnn said...

Go Cougars!

Read Me and Laugh! said...

I think Lizzy was spending too much time with me. :D Go BYU! Wahoo. Lizzy is really smart that she go for BYU!
-Brooklyn Moore

Leslie said...

Seriously, how does she even know what a byu sweatshirt is? And after you went through the trouble of buying her a U shirt too.