Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A project.

We've been living in our house for almost 3 years now. Weird. As such, I've decided that it's probably about time I get around to decorating my front room. I originally threw some stuff in there and slapped some paint on the walls, but it never really worked well. Lately, my formal living room has been functioning as a temporary storage room as I hock my old wares on KSL.


All these years, I've been biding my time, waiting and planning for the day that I finally had the time, energy and money to make my living room into something worth looking at. I've been spending an awful lot of time thinking about my new project and, all the while, doing very little. But I've got inspiration and an empty room, which can be the makings for a jolly good time, if you ask me.

Here are some of the photos that I'm drooling over.


I love the botanicals. I'm kinda obsessed with them right now. I've got my own set, waiting for a sofa to hover over.


I love the colors. All my inspiration is this blue-green color and gold. Don't try to convince me otherwise, it will be an excercise in futility.


And another blue green room that I'd like to move into.


This is the color that I painted. It's called Palladian Blue from Benjamin Moore and it's made all my wildest dreams come true. It also matches Jane's eyes.

That flower thing is a good story. We went to buy some dressers for my mom from someone in Provo. Her grandfather died and she was selling his old furnishings. I saw the flower thing and told her that I thought it was cool. She was appalled.
"That thing! I've always hated that thing. If you want it, take it with you."
So I did. It used to be silver and gold, but a nice, thick coat of white paint can work wonders on the world and now, I loves it. It'll look better when it isn't trying to decorate the entire room single handedly.


This is the couch I want, only I think I'll upholster it in a pewter color. Thus far, it's just a figment of my imagination. Maybe the power of positive thinking will cause it to materialize in my living room.


I bought these chairs off of KSL the other day. $25 for the pair. Can't beat that. Well, you could. I mean, free would beat that, but I won't dwell on that point.
Leslie helped me sew the pillow shams that will look better when they are filled with pillows and the the chairs have been reupholstered and painted like so...


Leslie's already found me the fabric...


So there you have it. This is what I spend my time thinking about. This is what often takes priority over filling my childrens' basic needs. I hope it's all worth it in the end.

9 comments:

Emily Call said...

Pretty. Can you come decorate my living room when you are done with yours?

Grammyzanne said...

Like those chairs. The upholstery job should be fairly easy. Just be sure to keep fabric taut. Like your colors. I like the flower thingy. In gold and silver it would not be a treat for the eyes. In white it is gorgeous. Good thing the lady doesn't follow your blog she might want it back. The botanicals are my kind of thing. It should be a very inviting living room once it is completed.

Robinson Family said...

I love a good project. I wish I could join in on the fun and come see your home. I've sometimes thought I would have enjoyed interior design, and it looks like you're a natural. Good luck bringing your dreams to reality.

Leslie said...

I wish I had a formal living room to decorate. For now I am living vicariously through yours. Those chairs are going to be amazing.

Lynda/Mom said...

Are you going to recover your chairs yourself? It doesn't look too difficult. I love that blue/green too, and even if it goes out of style I think I'd still like it. The flower medallion turned out well.

Andrea said...

Love the photos! It is definately on its way. When we discussed the color awhile ago I told you my sister had a great color that she had used, well....it is paladean blue! So funny! I never got back to you with the color name.

Cameron said...

SEA...FOAMMMMM! ..is so much more fun to say than Palladin Blue, I think you should go with that instead.
I think you're going to need to get an eye patch with all the KSL plundering you've been engaging in. Quit giving Leslie ideas.

Austin's Mommy said...

You're amazing.

Saladyia said...

I just love those colors (using them in some areas already) and the first few rooms...check out the Lobby of the Tifany Hotel in Bruseells, online - same colors, with the gold accents. You'll love it. I use it as my computer wallpaper. Good luck pulling it all together...makes me want to hang ALL of my mini-fish paintings on one wall... never could bringmyself to sell them.