Wednesday, November 18, 2009

One of the cutest things ever...


Lizzy in her new Sunday outfit. I wish she would hold still and pose for pictures.


Considering how cute she was, it made it extra super sad when she came downstairs with her doll.

"mom. ask me how my baby is."

"Ok, Lizzy, how's your baby?"

"she's itchy."

and then she started to scratch the baby's hands and neck, the places that she itched herself.

"my baby needs some benedwyl so that her allnergies don't make her itchy."

Brent and I about cried. Life isn't fair. We feel like we've tried so many roads to help her skin and only find dead end after dead end. Whenever we've taken her to doctors, they have always told us that we were over reacting and her skin wasn't as bad as we thought it was. Although I continue to love my pediatrician for most things, I won't try to count the number of times he discouraged me from taking her to a dermatologist because he said that they wouldn't be able to do anything for her that he couldn't. I wanted to smack the allergist that was so kind to inform me that he believed she had eczema and maybe we should try taking her off dairy for several months to see if it made any difference. I had about given up hope that anything could help her even when it seemed as though she was getting worse and worse and obviously having trouble enjoying life.


Anyway, a while ago my mom sent me an article on my email and as I read it, I found myself really liking one of the contributing doctors. I wanted to take Lizzy to THAT doctor. THAT doctor said things that I liked. THAT doctor seemed to know what she was talking about. I was uber pleased to find out that THAT doctor practiced in Alpine. It's been a weird, long, almost miraculous story (i'm going to do you a favor a spare the details, but if you call me, i probably won't be able hold back), but today I was finally able to take Lizzy to her.

For the first time since Lizzy was just a few months old, I finally feel validated. If I'd had to listen to another doctor or nurse ask me if I'd tried using Eucerin Cream, someone would have gotten a swift kick in the pants. Fortunately for us all, that wasn't the case.

The doctor and her PA were both shocked to see her skin and told me that she had the worst case of eczema they'd ever seen. The doctor also told me that she found Lizzy's situation to be unacceptable and that she was going to make sure that she didn't live like that anymore. She said that Lizzy's skin wasn't able to retain any moisture on it's own and that it also lacked naturally occurring antibiotics that most people have, meaning that any germs that touch her skin can easily infect it like so...



For those that aren't so lucky as to get to interact with Lizzy regularly, her body looks like this most of the time. It's sad.

If the doctor hadn't been so abrupt and callused (she really needs to work on her bedside manner), I'd have let myself cry the way I wanted to, hugged her and told her my miraculous story of how I found her and finally got the appointment.

Her new regimen involves several different steroid creams, topical antibiotics, bleach baths, new heavy cream and shampoo and cleanser, a sedative at night and she's also supposed to sleep in WET organic cotton pajamas with a heating pad to keep her warm, (deep breath) but I finally feel hopeful again. I know that it won't be a cure, I know that she'll always have skin issues and I know that using steroid creams isn't ideal, but at least it's something and someone with a plan. I'm so desperate for this to help...

Anyone know where I can buy organic cotton pajamas?

11 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, Lizzy! Those pictures make me want to CRY. Thank goodness she has a persistent mom. Good work! (And it sounds like a lot of work ahead too. Who ever heard of wetting pajamas on purpose??)

Holly said...

So sad. That looks horrible.
I've learned that sometimes the parent knows better than the doctor. We just KNEW that Ella had roundworm, but the doctor didn't think so, they tested her for asthma and everything but Roundworm. Finally she was tested positive for Roundworm after months of asking for the test.
Here are some cute (but kind of pricey) pajamas: http://www.newjammiesshop.com/ Ella has bad skin too, but nowhere near that bad. Poor Lizzy!

marydalene said...

At one point, Costco had some organic cotton pjs for kids, but I don't know if they still have them or not. So sad for Lizzy, but hopefully this us the light at the end of the tunnel!

Sheri said...

I read this and didn't know whether to smile or to cry. Mama's will do anything for their babies. I am so glad someone finally listened to you. Poor little Lizzy...lucky little Lizzy. Let's hope this doctress makes a difference :)

Robinson Family said...

You've probably talked to Britt about this, but she may want to take Treyson to this doctor. I'm so glad you're getting help and hope Lizzy feels better soon. I'm sorry it's taken so long to get help. I have itchy skin all the time, but it doesn't show outwardly if I take my zyrtec daily. Just knowing how miserable it is to itch uncontrolably, I feel such simpathy for her. Good luck!

MaryAnn said...

Yuck! I'm glad you finally found someone to listen to you and hopefully everything will help Lizzie feel better. I don't know about organic cotton pj's, but Wal-Mart has long sleeve organic cotton T's in the girl's section for only $5.

Grammyzanne said...

Doesn't it feel good to be validated!!! Lizzy manages to smile in spite of it all. Makes my poison ivy episode seem like a cakewalk. http://www.kidbean.com/ has some organic cotton pajamas. But looks like you are going to pay a high price for them wherever you find them. Good luck with the hunt. Hope it all helps tremendously.

Jason&Shannon said...

Way to go Laura! After seeing the pictures of how bad Lizzy's skin can get...she deserves a fight. I too hope her skin will improve with this new advice. Good luck and God Bless!

Leslie said...

Poor Ms. Biz. I'm so glad she's finally getting some help. She already looks better just a day later.

brooke c jackson said...

this breaks me heart.
those pictures are SO sad. baby girl..

i'm glad she will finally be getting the help she needs.
sweet girl

Barbara said...

I have to say I'm SOOO glad you have finally found someone who could do something for Lizzy!! I've always felt so bad for her because she was often so miserable, and I couldn't believe someone couldn't help. Hallelujah!!!