Thursday, December 31, 2009

Fun Mom! We meet again.

I really like the word 'pandemonium.'

I like it a lot. I've started working hard to incorporate it into my regular vocabulary, but I'm not finding as many situations to use it as I would like. Maybe I shouldn't WANT to find myself in pandemonium any more often than I already do, but it might be worth it just so that I could use the word.

It's definition is as follows

1. wild uproar or unrestrained disorder; tumult or chaos.
2. a place or scene of riotous uproar or utter chaos.
3. (often initial capital letter) the abode of all the demons.
4. Hell

(courtesy of dictionary.com since i wanted to make sure i got it right)

All things that we should want to avoid, right? But the word itself is so fun. It makes me think of a circus or carnival, it almost makes you feel like you're in the middle of all the disorder and chaos and demons and such, and you relish every single moment of it. If you accept my improved definition, then last night, I found myself in complete pandemonium.

Brent wasn't coming home from work until L-A-T-E, late and I decided that instead of doing what I was inclined to do, which was sit around feeling annoyed with my kids and sorry for myself, I would distract myself by being momentarily altruistic and make the night fun for the kids.

I told Leslie and Cam that I'd watch their boys for them and then told Jane that she could invite 2 of her friends over for a late-over (which is NOT a sleep over.) That added up to 7 kids under the age of 5 here and no one but me to take care of them. It was pure pandemonium and I loved (almost) every minute of it and I took a gazillion pictures that I will now share with you.




The usual suspects. Abby, Eva, Jane.


Davie and Ben. I know these boys aren't mine, but I like to pretend sometimes.
Davie spent most of the night under the table, eating everyone's scraps, like a dog, only cuter. Like a puppy.


Charlie, doing what he does best... latching onto me and howling (again, like a puppy) for me to pick him up.


What were they doing up there? Nothing good, I'll tell you that much.



About 10 seconds later, Lizzy fell down and was in hysterics.


Leslie and Cam brought dinner, which was VERY much appreciated. MMMMM, veggie delite pizza from Papa Murphy's is my fave. Try it! You'll like it!


Why do small children always feel the need to be on the counter?




When Davie wasn't scrounging, he was hand fed by Chas. Chocolate chips from the cookies. Yum.


I might be in love with Davie.


By then end of the night, he looked like this. Covered in chocolate and adorable.


The chaos WAS punctuated with moments of peace and quiet.

I can't guarantee that I'll be up for a late-over again any time in the near future, but last night, it was better than the alternative.


P.S. We did, in fact, celebrate Christmas and some day I'll fulfill my blogger's obligation to post pictures of said celebration. Some day.




6 comments:

Sheri said...

I love ya girl, because you say it like it is. P.S. I love the veggie delite too!

Leslie said...

We owe you big time for taking our kids last night. I wouldn't even dream of trying to manage 7 kids by myself.

Sandy Brunson said...

You are ambitious! And yes, I will accept your most fitting definition of Pandemonium. I like it better than the dictionary version. Looks like a fun night.

Lynda/Mom said...

And I was sitting around feeling sorry for you and wishing I could be of assistance!! Next time you have a party, you should invite me. No wonder Jane doesn't want to spend time with grandma any more.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

OH I do miss Pappa Murphy's veggie pizza.....yum! Can you believe there are no Papa Murphy's out here? I think, if I was to invest in a restaurant business, that would be it. Papa Murphy's for the East/South. Way to go on the late over...I am amazed at how clean your house looks in the picture, maybe because that is what I need to be doing right now....cleaning.

Jana Sohm said...

You get the "cool mom" award!! Thanks for having Abby over. She came home so excited from your house. We will have a girls' late-over soon.