Tuesday, December 8, 2009

House Guest

Pardon me for a moment while I climb up on my soap box...


When I was growing up, my parents used to walk everyday. Sometimes we got to go and sometimes they went in the morning before we woke up. We would wake up and no one was home and we'd say to each other "I guess mom and dad went for a walk." and then we'd turn on the tv and hang out and wait for them to get home.

When are my kids going to be old enough for that? It sounds so luxurious.

One morning, they returned from their walk with a dog that had followed them home. She was a fox hound that we named Polly. We tried to keep her, but being a fox hound, she had some pretty strong hunting instincts that conflicted with our suburban lifestyle. After one particular incident wherein her instincts we taken out on a neighbor kid, we all concurred that it was time to find her a new home.

She wasn't the only animal that took shelter in our home when we were young. It seems like someone was always needing a temporary home for their dog or bringing home a stray cat. I liked living that way. I'm not a crazy person with 27 pets, but I have always felt that when you are put in a situation like the Polly situation, you have to look past yourself and your needs and instead look at it as a responsibility.

Whenever Brent is mean to our cat, Nina, I always tell him that some day, he's going to die and he'll see God again and when he does, God is going to look at him and say "You were really good at this and really good at that and mostly did a great job down there, but I've got a bone to pick with you about how you treated my cat." And I totally believe it.

So when our friend, Jaime saw a kitten get hit by car, stopped to pick it up and brought it home, it wasn't even a question of whether we'd let it come in. The kids have really enjoyed having this adorable little guy around to play with the last few days. He's such a sweet little kitten, so cute and patient and cuddly.


He's in really good shape considering he was hit by a car. Either the car didn't hit him that bad or he's got fur of steel. (yes, i just typed that. yes, i regret it.)



Jane was disappointed to find out from the vet that it's a boy. It's really going to take the fun out dressing him in pink and calling him Princess Kitty.


He really likes Charlie. Before long he'll be big enough that he won't put up with the tail pulling, but for now, it's a relationship that works for them. I'm also glad to see Charlie taking an active role in caring for the kitten by feeding him so well.


We aren't actually planning on keeping him, assuming a suitable replacement home can be found, so if you know someone who would like a kitten for Christmas, send them our way.

I guess the real point of this post is that it's kinda fun to have something like this happen. It feels like home to me. These kinds of life events can be unexpected and inconvenient, but they also add such richness to your life. This is the stuff that makes you a family and some day, Jane will start talking about the time Jaime found that kitty and we all thought it was a girl and then we found out it was a boy and wasn't that so funny.. and we'll all have the memory to share and smile about. I'm grateful that my parents taught us the importance of opening our hearts and our homes. It's something I'd like my kids to learn from me.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

I thought you were going to announce that you're keeping the kitty. Cam and I have a no guns/no cats policy at work in our relationship or I would hit him up for it.

Sheri said...

Thanks for making me feel guilty for not liking animals. The kitty is cute, but not for me!

Lynda/Mom said...

Oh, my goodness! You had better talk to your dad--he has a very strong opinion about the kitty. It is adorable with your kids. I hope this all works out well, and I'm glad you have positive memories about our experiences with animals.

ginger said...

I would take the kitty but Sheri and Mary Jo say no....sorry. :)

Jason&Shannon said...

That is a nice post, it almost makes me think I should have a pet. Then I think, no, I will just let Laura receive the animal shelter blessings and I will work on some other type of charity that doesn't involve animal hair and feces.

Grammyzanne said...

That is one adorable little kitty. He may just work his way into permanent resident status.

Jana Sohm said...

I love the picture w/ Abby's belly. She keeps asking if she can play with "Jane". I think she is secretly wanting to play with the kitty. I guess we can't call it "Susie" anymore, can we?

Cameron said...

You'd better hurry and get rid of that thing, or you know it will stay.
I was thinking about getting Leslie an AK47 for Christmas.