Friday, December 11, 2009

Would you think less of me if I wore a hat?


At Thanksgiving I borrowed the movie Bonnie & Clyde from my dad. My dad's always got movies like that lying around. If you ever want to borrow a movie, my dad probably owns it. I had never seen Bonnie & Clyde. Seriously, I've made it all these years and I had never seen Bonnie & Clyde. I found it to be surprisingly violent for a film that wasn't rated. My brother, who is my authority on these matters, first congratulated me on finally viewing the monumental film and then informed me that the violence in it contributed to the development of our current rating system. Who knew?

John.
John knew.

Anyway, it was good. A little strange. Kinda choppy. Rather violent. I feel a little more well rounded and slightly more hip having seen it. I intend to try to bring it up in conversation from time to time in an effort to make other people feel as though they aren't as well rounded and hip as I am. But what I really took away from it was that Faye Dunaway was hot and she made me want to wear a hat.

John would be so proud. Seriously though, can you blame me?


You want to wear a hat too, don't you?

Several days later, I was shopping and I came across a hat. I wanted that hat. It was very important that the hat came home with me, but I was insecure. Can I pull that off? Can I wear a hat? I don't know. So I called my sister, who is my authority on these matters. She immediately started questioning me...

"Where are you?"
" I don't want to tell you."
"Why? Are you at Forever 21 or something?"
"No, I'm somewhere embarrassing."
"Where?"
"I'm at Tai Pan Trading."*
"What? (laughing, of course) They sell hats at Tai Pan? Are you sure that you want to be seen in a hat that you can buy at Tai Pan?"
"No! That's why I'm calling!"
"What kind of hat? Like a cap? or a fedora?"

I then thanked her for thinking so little of me as to assume that I was calling to ask her permission to wear a fedora and tried to explain to her the kind of hat I was looking at. I couldn't figure out what it was. It was molded and wool and formal and black and classy. If I were going to wear a hat, it would be a classy hat, not a fedora, for pete's sake. It looked a little something like this:


Only all black and instead of a buckle, there was a black flower made of wool. You get the picture though.

Had I been with my mom, who is my authority on these matters, she would have easily identified it as a cloche and then probably would have proceeded to tell me that I could get it if I wanted to. In my imagination, she wasn't helpful at all. Which is why I called my sister, who was equally UNhelpful.

I went home still insecure and empty handed, but I haven't forgotten about that hat.

Then, tonight, Brent and I watched Julie and Julia, which I very much enjoyed, and I was again inspired by the amazing hats that everyone wore and again I felt an overwhelming desire to wear a hat. Seriously, why did women stop wearing hats? What led to this? Who is responsible and where can I send my letter of outrage?

It's all gotten me thinking. If I WERE to buy said hat, I need to know...

What exactly are the rules for female hat wearing these days?
Where is it appropriate to wear a formal hat?
If I were to wear it to church, do I have to take it off when I get inside? Because that would kinda defeat the purpose.

and lastly,
Will you commit to supporting me in my hat purchase?





*let the record show that i'm not actually embarrassed to shop at tai pain trading. i shop there and buy there and love there. no, i wasn't embarrassed to be shopping there, only to be buying a HAT there. it just doesn't seem right.

16 comments:

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

i love hats and wear them all the time... always have. even own a fedora...
but then again, i also like uggs, and have been sporting skinny jeans for years.
:)


so it goes without much mystery on my half..

go for it. it gives you style no matter what and is always an easy fix for unwashed, greasy hair. i generally feel like church and other formal settings aren't really the place for hats.. except if maybe you are a bride.. but even then i'm not convinced.

your specific hat looks darling.. i might be heading over to tai pan myself :)

good luck.

Sheri said...

I wore hats all the time in college and lent them out on a regular basis to those who thought they were as glamorous as I believed them to be. And yes, I wore them in the church. The hat pictured is so totally you. Next time call Brooklyn...she is all about hats and wears them regularly. Some people they just fit...and you my dear would be one of them ! P.S. I liked Julie and Julia too :)

Janet said...

Fabulous post. Can I use it for my English classes? And I think you would look dazzling in that kind of hat. It just seems to fit you. But I am no authority on those kinds of things.

MaryAnn said...

I guess I am way out of it because I don't even know what a fedora is. I think your hat looks darling and you would look great in it, but maybe my opinion is not one you should listen to as I am WAY out of it.

Leslie said...

1. Faye Dunaway was hot. And I kind of like the name Faye.

2. You did a poor job of explaining your would-be hat or I could have been more helpful. When you said "Tia Pan" and "hat," I started thinking about some wide brimmed, woven number adorned with fake flowers--kind of like the Easter hats of our youth. Or Blossom. The one in the picture is cute. I would support such a hat, although I think the buckle would be better than a flower. But that's just me.

3. For the record I was wishing I had a hat today since I went to Target without showering and wore a beanie (and my glasses) and I looked like teenage boy with poor hygiene and no social skills. I might need to get a hat too.

Grammyzanne said...

I can "see" you in a hat and I think you'd look great. You can help lead the return of the hat to women's wardrobes.

Lynda/Mom said...

Laura, tell Janet that of course she can use your post for her English classes--it was very entertaining and interesting. You are right about what I would have told you had you called. Go for it, my dear!! You can lead the comeback since it is about time for hats to re-appear. You can wear it to church and not take it off (I think); you can wear it anywhere with confidence, and in winter they keep you amazingly warm.

Svenhardicus said...

I hear that Tai-Pan trading is Marie Osmond's favorite home decor store - and she's not some classless U fan.

Laura Stringham said...

Janet- of course you can use my poist in one of you english classes. and i would have said that even if my mom hadn't told me to.

Brooke- you've got the accessorie confidence that i envy. you can pull of anything, even a hat at a wedding.

Sheri - next time i will have to call brooklyn. i momentarily forgot about her and her hats. although, i think that had i called her, she would have spent the majority of the convesation trying to convince me that i'm crazy. i don't know why she pushes it so hard, i never disagree.

Laura Stringham said...

Leslie- you went to the store with no make up, no shower, glasses and wearing a beanie? ew.

Laura Stringham said...

i need to learn how to spell. and type.

poist?
accessorie?
convesation?
nice.

kennan said...

i too am a hat wearer. i even wore a denim one with a sunflower on it in elementary, when no one could wear hats (now that i think about it, i think my teacher felt bad for me). anyway, my vote... buy and wear with pride.

Cameron said...

I dunno, I think you'd kind of look like some kind of a sad swing kid or misguided flapper (doowa-doowa). So, unfortunately, I'd have to vote no on the hat. I'm also afraid that if you started wearing a hat that Leslie would too, since she kind of follows your lead on most things.
I think you just need to have a week of pola's and call it good.

brooke c jackson said...

cameron... what the hell is a week of polas? seriously... i have no clue, and this is the second time it's come up.
and i might add i don't like the tone it insinuates.


daybreak is life..
the rest just details.

ginger said...

Love the hat. Love ALL hats. I, too, have said many times aloud,"Why don't women wear hats anymore?!" They are so glamorous! I spent part of my day yesterday trying on hats in the quest for the perfect one, this winter just seems like a hat winter since it's soooo cold (I was at the mall though:) Hurry back over there and get your cute hat....

Laura Stringham said...

Brooke, you really shouldn't ask about the week of polas. Really, I promise. You'd be horribly disappointed.