Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Up at the crack

While we were vacationing over the weekend, we made a trip (or two) down to sunny St. George. We generally go to St. George when we visit my parents. Surprisingly enough, Summit, Utah isn't the busting metropolis that you'd expect and sometimes we just feel the need to get out. Plus, they have the world's most fabulous Home Goods down there. I always find myself tempted to throw away our life's savings in a single shopping trip. For this reason, the husbands and children are not such big fans of our St. George trips. Apparently the draw to the St. George Home Goods isn't universal.


Anyway, we decided to try something different this time and instead of heading straight for the shopping, we did something fun. We went to the local, convenient slot canyon to play around for a while.


Did I mention that Leslie and her kids were there too?

I had a picture of Leslie holding Davie that I thought was pretty cute and I was going to post it, but when she pointed out that she looked pregnant in it (and she did), I decided not to do that to her.


Exploration...


Lizzy liked it there.


Jane too, apparently.


It was fun to see the kids finding their inner mt. goats. I realized that we really don't give them the chance to get out and climb around nearly enough. By the end of the weekend, they were much more comfortable hopping on rocks.


It's a useful skill, that hopping on rocks. One that each child should be given the opportunity to master.


We also went to the Brigham Young Winter Home. Look at us being tourists! Leslie was supposed to get a photo of my family, but instead of waiting until I was able to gather my chicks, she took this, then she gave the camera back and told me that it was time to go.

I've chosen to forgive her.
The children may have been unavailable to photograph as a result of the tantrums/unruly behavior/exhaustion that resulted from said trip to the Brigham Young Winter Home.

But instead of putting them out of their misery and heading home, we decided to reward their tantrums by taking them to get frozen custard.


Look at Davie. You can see the sleep deprivation on his face.


And in Charlie's loopy smile.

I'm willing to put up with a lot to consume frozen custard.

And with that, we finally loaded our young family in the minivan, made sure they were all nice and comfortable and made the hour drive back to Summit...

..right after I went to the Home Goods.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I have to know if Brent's Boys State shirt is from way back when HE went to Boys State. Cause then I would feel better about some of Jack's wardrobe.

Lynda/Mom said...

And I missed that!! Wha a shame! You'll have to do it again when I can come.

Laura Stringham said...

As a matter of fact, Brent IS the original owner of the Boys State shirt. And it isn't the only thing he wears that's left over from high school.

kennan said...

first off its a TJ MAXX n' MORE and secondly i will drive to st. george with you any day just to go there.

Katie said...

Oh good, thank you for the support. You know things are bad when you catch yourself thinking, "Well at least he doesn't put on the letterman's jacket."