Tuesday, August 24, 2010

There's a first time for everything

Today was a big day in our house.

A ginormous day.
A monumental day.
A day for the record books.

Today was the first day of school.
It was the first day of first grade for my first born and the first day of preschool for her younger sister.
It was marvelous. MARVELOUS, I tell you!
I'm still riding the high from it, but this morning, I had my doubts about whether we'd even make it. Lizzy spent most of her morning about like this:


Only in various rooms and wearing various items of clothing. Sometimes none at all. I was trying my hardest to make her as adorable as she should be on her first day of preschool, but she seemed determined to scream her voice into oblivion, cry until her eyes swelled shut and rub as much snot in her hair as possible.

I actually started laughing out loud when I went to wake her up and she looked at me, said
"no. i sick. i not going to preschool." and rolled over.


But with a little help from her supportive sister, she slowly started to come around.


Very slowly.


And in her own unique Lizzy sort of way.


She DID loosen up though.


And she made out the car door and into preschool with her little uniform and her little socks and her little bag and she was so nervous and she waited for the teacher to show her where to walk and she was absolutely adorable and I'm crying a little right now just thinking about it.


Jane, on the other hand, had NO problems getting dressed and going to school. After being home all summer, she was more than ready to blow this joint and move on to bigger and better ways to spend her days.


She also didn't mind putting on her favorite new outfit (complete with a scarf that caused a major tantrum in the Cedar City WalMart) and posing for photos.


Charlie wanted in on it too.


My happy family.


The girls have to be at school at the same time in different locations, which will pose a potential challenge this year, so Brent took Jane and headed one direction and Lizzy and I went another. The girls kissed goodbye and off they went.

I'm always more emotional than I plan on being in these kinds of situations, so the morning was actually a bit hard on me, but when my beloved sister and I had a chance to go run errands with only 2 small, controllable little boys instead of 5 unruly children, I got over it. I have a feeling that I'm going to like this year. How about you?

4 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

They're all so cute. Yes, moms love the first day of school. And most of the succeeding days also. Glad it went so well for your crew.

Emily Call said...

Adorable pictures!!! Glad to know your day turned out to be so wonderful!

Grammyzanne said...

Love first days of school - the excitement, the nervousness, the upcoming adventure, and a place for my children to be productively (hopefully)occupied without my supervision.

Leslie said...

Preschool is awesome. Now Ben just needs to start soccer to burn off some energy.