Saturday, May 2, 2009

... and release

Most of my mornings begin with children either screaming or poking me into consciousness. My days rarely start out pleasantly. There is the occasional day that I wake up in a good mood and immediately want to spend time with my children, but mostly I just hide my head under my pillow and swat at them, telling them to go downstairs and watch TV. Usually, I end up walking down the stairs, setting them up with some sort of "breakfast" (which generally includes little more than a box of Froot Loops or Nilla Wafers on the table and a couple of water bottles) and then going back upstairs to crawl in bed for a couple of unsatisfying minutes. When I'm really super lucky, they just go down themselves.

The other morning was one of those lucky ones. The girls got up together, came into my room and harassed me together and then went downstairs to watch cartoons and raid the pantry together. When I finally pulled myself out of bed and came down to check on them, I found them both sitting on the couch with glazed over eyes and dropped jaws. Immediately I turned to see what it was that had them so captivated. This is what I found...




I started laughing as hard as I could that early in the morning (I use the term "early" quite loosely) until Jane stopped me with an offended look on her face.

"MOM! These are REALLY good stretches for pregnant women!"

My apologies. I had no idea.

I asked her if she wanted to watch cartoons, but both she and Lizzy refused and so I was forced to watch some (unstable) woman sit and stretch on public television while I sat on the couch eating a Nilla Wafer and wondering why I had gotten out of bed for this. It made qubo seem downright entertaining, I'd have much rather spent that time learning what kinds of quirky problems Postman Pat and his trusty cat, Jess were resolving in Greendale that day.

9 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Now if you could just get them off the couch and doing the stretches, that would be fabulous!! I'm a little concerned that if you get cable or satellite their expanded choices could cause problems.

Jenny R said...

I really love reading your blog and hearing about REAL life from someone! :) Weekends are my time to send her off while i lay in bed for a just a few more minutes. Luckily I also have been through a few teenagers so I know that some day will be payback time and i can bug her to get up in the morning after having slept in all I want!!!!

Emily Call said...

ok, I got a really good laugh with this post. Too funny. I am exactly the same as you in the mornings... I pour two bowls of cereal and get some sippy cups with water and then head back up to bed.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Just this morning, Katie came into my room at 6:10am and woke up Aubrey who had just fallen back to sleep...but of course, no longer. I thought, I need to adopt a new morning routine. My friend's kids (she has 2) stay in their beds until mom comes to get them. I thought that sounded nice, but probably your routine is more realistic. I think I will buy some fruit loops and nilla wafers tomorrow.

Leslie said...

We just turn on the TV in our bedroom when Ben wakes up. I've gotten very good at sleeping through Handy Manny.

brooke c jackson said...

this post made me laugh so hard.

i want to spend some quality time with jane.. seriously, the girl is hilarious!

WHERE did you get her?

Cameron said...

You really need to just suck it up and get cable. Just call and order it and tell Brent it's a "surprise." when the cable guy shows up to install it. DO IT..DO IT NOW!!

Austin's Mommy said...

You are such a funny person. You should really be a columnist. However, I enjoy the blogs.

L F said...

I loved that the girls were watching that exercise video that makes me laugh. I'm so glad you write you brighten my day.