Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mi Casa

My kitchen is so close to finished, I can taste it and it tastes de-licious. I thought that I had the photos of what it looked like before we moved in, but I can't find them anywhere, which is a total drag. Not that they really served a purpose, I just liked to look at them to remind myself of how much better my house is now. This is the closest thing to a "before" photo that I could find.



This photo was taken almost exactly a year ago and I apologize that my blurry, pregnant self is in the middle of it.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this photo?

Well... if you're looking at it through my unnecessarily hyper-critical eyes, everything. The cabinets were a very peach-y color that didn't appeal to me and they had picked the counter tops and floors to match, which made me feel like I was in a beech wood cave. The blue tile was too much for me and my more traditional taste plus, it was poorly installed and looked bad on the wall. I had replaced the hardware by the time this photo was taken, so the bar pulls were an improvement over the junk that was on there before. I know that plenty of people out there think it was great just the way it was, but, I'm sorry, I just didn't like it.

This is WAY more my style:



For the new (and improved) kitchen, we replaced the doors, added the island and the crown molding, splurged on the hardware, refinished the old butcher block counter tops and bought a new Brent-approved faucet. I think he spent too many years cleaning dishes at McDonald's, but ultimately, he got what he wanted because he does the dishes. I went from really not liking my kitchen to really REALLY liking it, a lot. Me feel happy.

And while I'm posting photos of my house, is there anyone out there that HASN'T seen my silhouettes? Well just in case...



...here is a photo of my silhouettes. Can you tell I like those too?

12 comments:

Katie said...

Um, jealous. Very, very jealous.

Kathy said...

Totally jealous! I love it. You have great taste. Maybe if we buy this house or when we buy a house I might have to chat with you before decorating. We seem to have the same type of style! :)

Sheri said...

It looks great...and I can't help noticing how very clean it is! Keep up the good work ;)

Austin's Mommy said...

Wow, adorable!

Leslie said...

Boo! This what I wanted my kitchen to be (minus the Brent faucet). I mean, I like my kitchen and all, but somehow I still feel like I settled.

Emily Call said...

so so so so pretty! can we just move into your house with you? ha ha.

Lynda/Mom said...

Good work, Sweetie, and the "helpers", that is, Brent and Jaime. It looks great. Even though you still need to do the floors (and maybe a little paint job), it is a huge improvement. Yes, it is very clean, and although it won't always look like that, it will be easier to get to that point from time to time.

Barbara said...

It looks great, Laura. So glad you could make it more like you want it to be!! and I love your silhouettes (did I spell that right?) as well.

brooke c jackson said...

stop it..
just sTOP!

your house is the envy of my heart.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

You have a knack for design, whether for crafts, houses, barrettes...very gifted. I do love the silhouettes also. Who did them? It was good to see you this weekend. I guess I'll see you again in a month or so.

Lilit said...

ahhhhh love that kitchen!!!!!!!!!!maybe one day in the future......
love the silhouettes too.... I am going to steal that idea from ya, again one day when/if I have a house!

Jenny R said...

I am with you - love the improvements and also much more my taste! :)