Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day (subtitled: The Fun Mom Strikes Again)

I had a some motivation to make Father's Day a little special for Brent this year. First of all (and I'd like to think most importantly) Jane is getting to the age where she's old enough to notice things like that and how we react to them. I wanted to teach her how important it is to value her dad and all the things that he does for us and that it's also important to make special efforts here and there to show him how much we love him.

My second motivation was that the same man we were honoring today did a completely crappy job of teaching our small children to love and honor their mother on Mother's Day. On Mother's Day, I got a box of licorice and a movie card that he had received from his boss at work several months before. He called it a "movie date." I called it a pathetic, last minute attempt to get me something so that he wouldn't be sleeping on the couch. At first, I thought that I'd just ignore Father's Day altogether to teach him a lesson, but when I realized that he probably wouldn't care or even notice if we ignored him, I decided to take the self righteous, higher road and throw him a party in an effort to make him feel guilty.



Jane and I made the banner(I know, it's hard to tell. It looks so professional) she colored the whole thing, isn't it cute?



The party aftermath. I'm going to be bummed to take the paper chains down. Jane and I spent so long making them. I'm thinking I'll put them back up for her birthday.



My "Culinary Masterpieces" I made brownies with coconut frosting, Brent's fave and raspberries and mint for me.



We really do love Brent and there isn't anyone in the world I'd rather have with me to raise these kids, even if he's a lame gift giver. Happy Father's Day!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Oops, was I supposed to be looking at the banner? I was too busy gazing longingly at your beautiful cupboards & countertops.

Emily Call said...

cute banner and paper chains. I would keep the paper chains up all the time... they are too cute.

Lynda/Mom said...

You made a good decision on a sweet revenge. Me?? I finally got wise and for every gifting occasion I would go buy something I really wanted, bring it home, and say, "I knew you would want me to have this." Lovely thing is, he always did want me to have it. Now I love it!

Barbara said...

Great decorations, Laura. I admire your ambition, and I'm sure your kids appreciate it as well.

brooke c jackson said...

you put us all to shame.

dustin is now banned from reading this blog.

Grammyzanne said...

I was enchanted with the chains and banner. Went back to look at the kitchen - looks very nice and user-friendly too.

Barbara said...

I just got some fine entertainment and funny too by catching up on your blog. Thanks for the updates. Shannon (using Barbara's computer)