Sunday, June 28, 2009

Just throw it on the pile

Last Wednesday night was rather eventful for us as far as nights go. If you read this blog, you'll know that Brent and I are accustomed to late night awakenings of all varieties, but most of them don't end up with a trip to the E.R. Lizzy had what I guess one would call an asthma attack and Brent ended up taking her to the emergency room at 2:00 in the morning. I was very glad that he was willing to take her since I was a wee bit emotional and not really trusting myself in a high stress situation. It might have had something to do with the severe lack of sleep and small child trying to suffocate before my eyes. (Did that sound dramatic? I tried. I figured it would make me look slightly less pathetic.)

Anyway, she's fine, she's doing great, no harm done. They gave her some steroids and an inhaler which seems to really help. The next day, we went up to Park City for the weekend (post is a-comin') and as I was packing for the kids, I started to gather all the meds/creams that we would need for Lizzy while we were gone. The pile became so extraordinary that I decided to honor it and it's magnitude with a photograph.



There's lotion for whenever she needs it and then special stuff for after her bath. One steroid cream for her face and another for the rest of her. Two kinds of allergy meds, one for day and one for night. Antibiotic cream for the open wounds and Butt Paste to help them heal and now the inhaler and it's accoutrement's. And this photo doesn't include the oral steroids. These are only the ones that seem to help and we use regularly. If I were to photograph all the things that have tried and failed, I'd have had to stand a lot further away. It's a lot for a 2 year old.

Does it sound like I'm complaining? It does. I don't mean to complain, really I don't.

Actually, as I sat there photographing all the meds that my baby uses on an almost daily basis, I thought about how frustrating life must be for her, how uncomfortable she's got to be all the time. I was admiring her patience and thinking that she doesn't let these kinds of things slow her down. She's so full of energy and life and love. It was one of those cheesy, inspirational moments that would be accompanied by sappy music and a voice over, were I on a television show.

She puts up with a lot, don't we all in our own way? I'm certain that there's a reason for her allergy issues and I'm certain there's a reason for the things in the world that drive me crazy, but I whine about mine a lot more than Lizzy.

I've got to stop complaining so much.

And I love that girl.

These are a couple of my favorite Lizzy photos that I've never gotten around to posting. She kills me.



3 comments:

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

poor baby girl...

i love lizzy...

i am sorry she's been having such a hard time.

cute thing...

Emily Call said...

she's such a trooper.

Leslie said...

Poor Lizzy. I guess it's a good thing she doesn't know any other way of life, so she doesn't realize how burdened she it. Maybe some day she'll grow out of her issues.