Sunday, June 21, 2009

An oldie, but a goodie

"A hula hoop!?" shouted a somewhat terrifying, old, haggard looking man from his equally old, haggard looking pick up in the K-Mart parking lot.

"I didn't know they even made those anymore!"

"Yup." I replied. "Apparently they do." and then I hurried my children into our minivan as quickly as I could mange while still remaining discreet.

Yesterday was a VERY rainy day, Brent wasn't home to entertain us all and I was about to lose my sanity (once again) trying to manage the kids. Suddenly, Jane had the great idea to go to the store and get a hula hoop. I must have been feeling particularly weak at that moment because instead of sending her outside with her raincoat where she couldn't make such outlandish suggestions, I agreed. And you know what? It was the best $6 I've spent all week. Better that the $5 I spent on a new shirt for Jane that she now has to be bribed into wearing and WAY better than the $4 I spent on a piece of less than mediocre pizza at the mall to keep her quiet. In fact, I would go so far as to claim that the literal hours of entertainment that it has provided her has made it one of the best investments of her entire life. She's getting pretty good at it too.










I guess it just goes to show that a good idea is a good idea, no matter how simple it is or how long it's been around.

7 comments:

Katie said...

I love her haircut.

And comments from strange men is sort of what you get for going to KMart.

ginger said...

Those are some cute hula-hooping pictures!

MaryAnn said...

She looks like a pro and that haircut is darling!

Grammyzanne said...

She does look like is is having fun and prety good with the hula hoop. I remember when those were first introduced - at least I think it was. Lots of fun and good exercise. Can she manage two?

Sandy Brunson said...

So fun! And I too love the hair cut and hula hooping photos.

Lynda/Mom said...

Adorable!! Makes me want to try a hoola hoop myself. My goodness, girl, when you blog you really blog!

brooke c jackson said...

i still can't hula-hoop.
perhaps jane can give lessons??


and what is this gorgeous frock she is wearing??

has someone taken their hand at sewing clothes now too??

yay! let's have a sewing party.
:)