Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Graduate

I see that it has now been a full week since I posted on my blog and a full eight days (or is it nine? for some reason days of the week can confuse my easily confused mind) since my oldest child officially graduated from preschool and I thought it was good and time I got on with sharing our jubilee with the world.

Ok, so let me start by asking if I'm the only parent in the world that thinks that it is totally NOT a bizarre that my child has "graduated" from preschool? Ya, I guess it feels kinda weird that she's going to be in kindergarten next fall and ya, it feels kinda weird that she's growing up, but I'm not heartbroken over it or anything. It feels really really normal and appropriate. I'm not dying because she's growing up so fast or scared that she's not ready. I feel really happy for her because I know that this is what life is all about, growing older, learning more and gathering new experiences as you go along. I'm prepared for a little more trauma when I drop her off at her classroom this fall, but not much.

We actually almost didn't go to the "ceremony" because we were supposed to have dinner with friends and Jane didn't want to cancel the meal and subsequent playdate, but in the end we decided that it was best that we show our daughter her achievements are important to us. Poor thing has a tough life. It's got to be rough being an oldest child. It always seems as though we have the least amount a patience with her, expect the most from her and have almost no time for her. Ya, it definitely takes a certain spirit to handle that position in the family.

Anyway... we went. She got all dolled up and sang all those songs that I've been hearing on the car rides home all year. They even gave the kids little graduation caps (that fell apart on the walk to the car) and diplomas to make the event super legit.







As we were walking out to the car, Jane commented that we hadn't gotten her a graduation present. I was a little bugged at this because if all the other parents hadn't brought things to the program for their kids, Jane would never have realized that she wasn't getting anything. I had two perfectly good reasons for not having a gift.

1- I forgot and
2- even if I hadn't forgotten, I wouldn't have gotten her anything

She was obviously feeling snubbed, so we asked her if she wanted to go get some icecream (McDonald's kids cones here we come) but she had more grandiose ideas. She informed us that she wanted "flowers and a treat." That totally busted Brent and me up since that's exactly what I would have asked for, I ALWAYS want flowers and a treat, preferably a baked good that will require several glasses of accompanying milk. If you ever need to buy me anything, make it flowers and treat... Jane too, apparently. Since her request hit home so hard, I drove straight to the Neighborhood Market (WalMart that is) and she picked out some pink roses and coordinating cookies.





The flowers and treat made her about as happy as they make me. You'd think she was my daughter or something.



And of course Jane was kind enough to share with her adoring siblings.



Now that I look at this photo, I realize exactly how nice and white trash Charlie was looking that night.

Congratulations to Jane. We really are proud of our little girl and I love her to bits.

4 comments:

Emily Call said...

Jane is so stinkin' cute. Congrats girly! p.s. I can't believe how grown up Lizzy is getting.

MaryAnn said...

Graduating preschool is a milestone worth celebrating! Congratulations Jane!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

I feel Preschool is much more worth of celebrating than Kindergarten Graduation sometimes. 1st grade is just 2 doors down the hall. I'm glad she felt important and special though! I know my students feel the same, which is probably why we continue with the craziness of it all.

Jason&Shannon said...

Katie realized that flowers were given to girls after the dance recital and wondered when she was to get hers. Too bad kids pick up on what the other kids are doing/getting so easily. Flowers and a treat, that is at least an easy request.