Thursday, June 4, 2009

Utah County, I have a bone to pick with you

Dear Utah County-

Question. Do you hate me? Do ya? Because I think you do and if I'm right, don't you think that we should just get it out in the open and talk about it. I'll even start.

Do you enjoy the fact that I can't ever find anything down there and I drive around for the better part of an hour searching for some seemingly nonexistant address? The only three places I've ever successfully driven directly to are my Aunt B's, my Aunt Kathy's and the University Mall and half the time I'm worried that when I actually arrive to what I think is my destination, you will have moved them on me just for kicks. But Provo and Orem are the least of my worries, what's the deal with that whole Alpine/Lehi/Pleasant Grove/American Fork/Lindon mess? Trying to figure out where I'm driving down there blows my mind. I swear you even hide your freeway when onramps when I head that way.

I've noticed that you've made an effort to utilize the tried and true grid system when naming your streets, but it is a very half-hearted one, indeed. What good does it do me when all the cities run into each other and they all have their own grid systems? What the heck does it mean when I read a sign that says "2600 N/400 S" or something equally outrageous? And how can a street possibly be 700 North AND 700 East at the same time?

Huh?

Huh?

Oh, and I know that you and Mapquest are in cahoots. What's the deal there? Do you blackmail them to give me wrong directions or do you both sit around and laugh yourselves silly at your sick joke while you watch me make U turn after U turn? What about today, when it took me 45 minutes to find an address in Lindon, did you NOT hear my children screaming in the back seat because I'm fairly certain that orbiting space stations were annoyed with them. And then you had to go and put the grandma in her Cadillac in front of me. I bet you loved that her car never went over 15 mph, didn't you?

I'm telling you, Utah County, this whole thing isn't working for me. It isn't working at all. I'd like you be your friend, but you make it so hard! We can't avoid eachother entirely. I'm racking my brain here trying to figure out what I could have done that would cause such loathing on your part. Is because I went to the U? because if it is, listen, you're just going to have to get over it. You are the home to BYU and I still venture down there from time to time. No hard feelings.

I'm really hoping that we'll be able to work this out, but the ball's in your court now. You know where to find me, safely tucked away in Salt Lake County, where the world and the streets make sense.

Yours Sincerly,

Lou

15 comments:

Sandy Brunson said...

That's funny! Funny and a little bit true. The mess with the lindon area is totally ridiculous.

scott said...

I don't really find it all that confusing. I will give that Alpine is seriously messed up.

MaryAnn said...

The Lindon/Alpine area is confusing, but Provo and Orem are not that hard. And Salt Lake area is not always that easy either! What can I say, I have to be loyal to my home sweet home.

Emily Call said...

After living in Lehi for 6 years, I still couldn't find anything... I always get lost. Maybe this is why we finally moved. Sorry about your morning.

Austin's Mommy said...

I've had that experience. Minus the screaming children. Because google maps doesn't tell you that first you have to drive a .5 mile through podink town #1 and pass it's 700 North before you get to podink town #2 where you need to turn on it's 700 north. I'm sure if you grew up there you would never think twice about it but the rest of us definitely need a map that says turn left on 700 N PODINK TOWN #2.

Leslie said...

I am fully anti-Utah county (sorry to all of you who grew up there). I'm perfectly happy to stay up here in the SLC thankyouverymuch.

Cameron said...

Seriously...They should just put up a fence at point of the mountain and call it good. There's no good reason to go down there unless you absolutely have to. Someday in like 100 years they will just level the whole thing and start over with some decent planning.

Kathy said...

I feel that way about SLC. I am a bit biased since I live in Orem and learned to drive around here. I will see you tomorrow at your boutique though.

Jana Sohm said...

Tyler says "ditto". He HATES Utah county. Enough said.

Sheri said...

I say take a Prozac and go to bed...this put you way over the edge!

Danielle said...

North Salt Lake is the same way. One time I drove around for two hours trying to make it to a job interview. I kept calling the receptionist and asking her for all kinds of questions "do you see the Mavrick?" she would ask. Yes, I saw the Mavrick, but it was apparently the wrong one. How can there be two different Mavericks at two different intersections with the same address? Needless to say, I called the receptionist crying my eyes out and let her know that I had given up and drove home, I was so relieved when I got on to the freeway and knew where I was again.

Lynda/Mom said...

It doesn't help that the freeway angles through the valley making all the East and West streets more confusing. Glad you found it, though. I don't think I have any loyalty issues anywhere anymore. I think I can be completely objective, and familiarity with an area tends to breed tolerance. I don't have any animosity with Utah Valley, but North of Orem your addresses are up for grabs.

Jenny R said...

I am with you Lou! So annoying!! Same thing happens here too - we live on Maple street in Canisteo - five miles north of us is Maple street in Hornell. UGH! But the WORST thing about UT county while I lived there: when people get lost they just stop right in the middle of the road to consult their maps!!! Right in the middle of the road with not stop sign in sight and they don't even pull over - GEEZ!!!!

brooke c jackson said...

what? don't you know that we live by landmarks such as purple turtle, AF del taco, old micron road, and kohlers??

i know that land like the back of my hand.

ANYWAY..
who are you crazy peeps that drive 45 minutes for nasty funk Los Hermanos??? i blame no one but you.

not to mention it is probably the most INCONVENIENTLY located restaurant ever

ANYWAY... i need to pay a visit. poppy is in dire need..

Lynda/Mom said...

My goodness, has Jane been watching gangster movies or something? That child must be stopped!! Her grandmother.