Thursday, January 7, 2010

I... love lamp.

Fact: I really like lighting. Primary, secondary, third string, you name it. If you are a light, I've already taken an interest in you.


Fortunately for us, the previous owners of our house took the time to replace all the hardwired lighting fixtures before we moved in. I'm sure that the originals were probably old and outdated and needed to go.

UNfortunately for us, they replaced said lighting with the freaking ugliest, most impractical, useless lighting fixtures on the market today. I don't like it. I want it all gone. ALL OF IT... GONE. I won't rest until every single light fixture in my house has been replaced by a superior one hand picked by me.

Problem is that I also won't rest until I get a lot of other things that cost money that I don't actually have.

I'm materialistic like that.

So two years after we moved in... I've finally been looking at lighting. I've finally been BUYING lighting. Lamps, semi-flush, chandeliers. It's been euphoric. And since lighting has been occupying most of my rational (and irrational) thoughts lately, it only makes sense that I would eventually manage to justify a boring post about it.

I will now proceed.

Several months ago, I was replacing the track spotlight in our family room and I wanted to get this

But it cost this:


Sale Price: $502.95

Which is NOT in budget. So instead, I got this:


Which came broken and I still haven't been able to get the replacement piece. It's a long, sad story. And so half of it has been hanging from my ceiling ever since. Boo.

THEN, last week I was checking out my favorite website, overstock.com and I found this!


for this

Today: $149.99


Dear Overstock.com-

I love you.

-Lou


So, ya, I bought it. (against the advice of my sister. she thinks it's too fancy. fancy shmancy, leslie. what? i'm not fancy?) Not sure where I'm putting it yet, but I bought it. Then I started noticing that overstock has some really great lighting right now and for the first time ever, I kinda wish my house was bigger, or at least had a greater need for lighting fixtures, because I wants it all.

I want this:


And this:


And this:


And this:


And this:


Notice a pattern? They all sparkle.

And then there's the grand daddy of them all. It's from Restoration Hardware and if they didn't insist on my forking out an obscene amount of money to them before I could take it home, it would already be hanging over my beat up, hand me down, dining nook table.


Dear Overstock.com-

Can you help me out here?
Thank you much.

-Lou.

So ya. If you are in the need (or want) of new improved lights, head on over to overstock and get you some. You can thank me later.

5 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Well, they are all pretty much sparkley chandeliers--nice, and definitely according to pattern. Good luck with all that--those Ikea track lights definitely need to go, and the one in the entry should be at the top of the list now. I still think you should get a replacement piece for the one hanging in your family room.

Holly Jones said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one posting about my lighting obsession. I've been scouring Overstock.com's lighting section too lately. We have similar taste! I love your choices.

Sheri said...

You "light" up my life! I love ya girl....you obsess over them most random things...it makes me smile :)

Katie said...

I get you.

My favorite line from Clueless is, "Then, Dee and I had to design a lighting concept."

Jason&Shannon said...

I have to say, I agree with Leslie on most of those light fixtures. Too sparkly and fancy for my taste. I like the one you bought that came broken, the black one, and the last one from Restoration Hardware. However, it would be fun to replace light fixtures in this house, too bad I am renting.