Friday, February 27, 2009

An Ode to Laundry

Laundry, oh laundry, will you please go away?
Do you not understand how you ruin my day?

With all of the piles, I can't get on top
I start in the morning and don't ever stop.

I'll think that I'm done and only find sorrow
When I realize that I just have more for tomorrow.

Drying and washing and washing and drying,
Place your bets now for when I stop trying.

Can't we all wear clothes that I can throw out
I know I'd save money when I stop buying Shout!

Checking and scrubbing and treating with goop
The spit up and stains and gross baby poop.

Laundry for home and for sisters and brother,
Out with one load and in with another.

Then sorting and folding and matching's a pain
Of all my existence, I'd call you the bane.

This menial task just keeps me so busy
Is this one of Jane's socks or does it fit Lizzy?

Then into their rooms to find the right drawer
I'd call the whole process a chore and a bore.

And the iron sees almost no light in this place
When Brent asks me to, I laugh in his face.

When I hate it so much, then what does it mean?
There are too many baskets some dirty, some clean.

I have too many "things" I don't understand why
It's time that I take a trip to D.I.

12 comments:

Kathy said...

I love it! I feel your pain. I hate it even more when the laundry room is downstairs! What an annoying design.

Lilit said...

have you tried writing for living? you are good!

Katie said...

AMAZING. This weekend, you should find a downtown cafe with an open mic. You could read it while someone beats a drum behind you.

Laura Stringham said...

Yes, I'm now entertaining publisher's offers. Too bad it took me half a day to write it :)

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

That's one way to avoid the piles. I did enjoy the poem...relate I can. Course I should take a picture of the mountain on the day I sort the laundry. I used to have one day I called "laundry day". That day now trickles into the next and next. Too bad I love buying kids clothes or I would love to just get rid of half of their clothes.

Austin's Mommy said...

Laura, that was AWESOME! And I love the picture. Mind if I share that with a friend who would oh so appreciate it?

Leslie said...

I feel your pain. I had forgotten how much laundry a newborn generates.

MaryAnn said...

I enjoyed your Ode and can relate all too well. My solution has been to quit putting away Tim's clothes. Problem is he does not put them away either so they sit in a pile in our room. Megan calls it a mountain and often climbs it.

Grammyzanne said...

Oh so true. What a creative spin on a never ending task.

Lynda/Mom said...

I'm with Lilit and others--I only regret that they beat me to it. I was going to suggest a couple of days ago that you consider writing, even without the poetry. Love it!

Kriss said...

I had no idea you are such a poet-love it!

Nikkie said...

I don't mind laundry-how do you feel about showers? maybe we can work out some sort of trade...