Sunday, March 1, 2009

CHANGE WE NEED*

Our family would very much like to be able to go on vacation this fall, hopefully to Disneyland. Problem is, we have a lot of expenses right now that make affording a vacation this fall seem a little bit out of reach. If we are going to actually go, we're going to need some sort of savings plan. What to do, what to do...

Enter: the change jar.



Yesterday, Jane and I put together a jar (and by put together, I mean we found it, poked a hole in the lid and taped an index card on it) to collect all our loose change to save towards our vacation. I'm not exactly sure if this method will save enough to get us to sunny California come fall, but we can hope. We decided that every time we use cash, we'll take the change and stick it in the jar. I'm pretty sure that I stole the idea from a bank commercial. They are smart people, those bankers.

After emptying our wallets, searching the couch cushions, the car, all the pockets in the laundry and picking up a penny from the Costco parking lot, this is what we have:



Yes, I am aware of the fact that a jar this small couldn't possibly hold enough coins to actually pay for a Disneyland vacation unless they were solid gold. We have great plans for expansion, as soon as a suitable vessel becomes available.

So if you happen to be visiting our home and are sick of carrying around those annoying nickels (I hate nickels so much, thank you Grandma Lawrence) feel free to drop them into our Disneyland fund and give us some change we can believe in.



* I laugh as I write this, looking at the title of this post. There are few things this week that have brought me more satisfaction and even though the change jar does out date the post by about 29 hours, I would gladly have created said change jar for the sole purpose of being able to use this post title. My only hope is that I don't stir up those of my acquaintance who A) think Barack Obama is a servant of the devil or B) have a (man)crush on him. As far as you're concerned, I am standing on neutral ground. I may as well be Swiss, like the cheese.

9 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

You could have called it "Change Jug" and created some interesting mental images that way. You'll need to tell your dad--he needs a better place to collect his spare change. Good luck!!

Jana Sohm said...

We need a change jar for the same purpose. I am quite impressed with the vast amount of money already collected. Thank goodness for couch cushions!

Sandy Brunson said...

love it. That is change I could believe in. At least if it was in a jar that was mine. Good luck collecting!

Grammyzanne said...

I saw the title and was thinking diapers. Good luck with your collecting - it should get you a vacation somewhere.

Leslie said...

I want to go to Disneyland too. We try to save our spare change and last time we went to coinstar we netted a measly $30. Lame.

Barbara said...

Little by little, you might just make it. Good luck.

Emily Call said...

Love it. ha ha. Funny that you hate nickles. I can't stand pennies. When I was little I used to throw them away... don't tell anyone, i am sure that is against the law! ;)

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I am wondering what I missed about Grandma Lawrence. I had no idea she hated nickels. We collect change in a jar and usually net about $100 or so a year. Maybe not this year, however, as Jason keeps raiding the change to get his caffeniated soda. Too many late nights studying.

Jenny R said...

lol...I love your posts - they are so creative and funny! We use a huge plastic jar that some giant pretzels came in and filled it with all of our pocket change and the money from recylcling cans and bottles at the grocery store. All filled it came to about $300 and has helped to fund a few vacations. Most recently it helped to fund Christmas - it really works! :)