Monday, October 5, 2009

Fun Mom Chronicles

It must be fall. I know that technically it's Fall, but those dates don't REALLY mean anything. It isn't Fall until it FEELS like Fall.

Today I:

made sugar cookies
wore a coat
turned up the heat several times
dined on home made chicken soup and bread
picked PUMKINS (for cam)
got cold on the inside.

It officially feels like fall. And since I have a little energy to direct towards blogging today, I have documented MY first day of fall.



It is imperative that when baking cookies you eat enough of the dough to make yourself sick. I believe it to be one of those unwritten sugar-cookie-makin' rules.



This is me in my fancy, retro-ish apron. You can't see the rick rack, pocket and ruffles on the bottom. Drat.

I wear it at every given opportunity and then strategically place myself in front of a camera so that in several years, we'll all think that I spent my days wearing cute aprons and baking.



A couple of friends came over to help decorate them with us, which always makes sugar cookies more fun.



We tried to prevent Charlie from screeching by feeding him M&Ms during the decorating. Delicious.



And the finished product. They taste good. I ate the bats before I took the photos. Mmmmmm. Bat cookies.

I love pumpkin patches. If you've been reading this blog long enough, that's a fact you may recall from last year. Somehow we always manage to pick the coldest day every year to go, though.



We are all looking "winter-y"



Jane was having so much fun, but Lizzy was being a grump. Poor baby was probably freezing.



Chas' coat is a little large. He's constantly struggling with it and I'm constantly laughing at and photographing his discomfort.



Told you Lizzy was a grump.


The Jackson-Barron clan joined us, as usual. BTW it was Leslie that made the home made soup and bread and Halloween cookies with M&Ms in them. She's getting really domestic since she started staying home. This was previously the role I filled in our family. It's making me slightly uncomfortable, but I'm letting it go because she does make really good bread and cookies and soup.



And the always awkward Stringham family photo. I don't actually get to see us all together very often. It's kinda funny to look at this picture actually. In my head, I still see Brent and I as a couple of kids that are playing house. We have cars and a home with furniture and we make dinner and Brent goes to work and I stay back and take care of the kids, but it all seems so fragile, like kind of a dream, a game. It feels like we're always just hanging on by the skin of our teethe hoping that our children don't ever notice that we have no idea what we're doing or how long we can keep this up.

When I look at this photo, I see a (still awkward looking) full fledged family. Is this the image that the rest of the world sees? Weird.

Pardon me. I was just having an out of body experience.

So all in all, today turned out to be a lovely first day of fall.

And I've got several posts fluttering around in my head, so hopefully I'll be able to pin some of them down this week.

6 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

That was an ambitious post! I was thinking that if the 140 anemone bulbs I planted in the grass actually come up next spring, I will take a picture and post it. Sound like you had a busy day.

Sheri said...

That family of yours is one dream worth hanging on to. I think you are all fabulous :)

Emily Call said...

That does sound like the perfect first day of Fall! Those cookies turned out so cute.

Leslie said...

I need to get around to some fall blogging too. And we'll have to find some more fall activities to do. I need an excuse to make more of those cookies. Delish.

Jason&Shannon said...

Looking forward to the "fluttering in your head posts." You made sugar cookies. Way to go! I like the Frankenstein ones. I too felt like I was playing house for the first few years of marriage, lately not so much. Maybe the stress and moving so much make it seem way to real. I need to relax and start pretending I am playing house again, I bet I would be a much better mom and wife if I did.

MaryAnn said...

Very festive! Looks like fun.