Monday, October 19, 2009

Hey Emily! Look!

At one of the boutiques where I sell my hair clips, someone was selling these really neat cake plates. (that doesn't sound right. aren't you NOT supposed to start sentences with a preposition? is 'at' a preposition? so many questions that will go unanswered. maybe jane can teach me when she gets there.)

I was going to buy one, but the crafter in me took over before I got to the register. I noticed that they weren't actual cake plates, but rather normal plates that had been affixed atop glass dishes/candle sticks to create a serving dish. 'Crafty Laura' declared with great confidence "Don't buy it! I can make those and I can make them cuter."

She was very convincing and she totally delivered.




I bought the candle sticks on clearance from Target (my happy place) and have been looking for the right plates to complete the look. My friend, Emily gave me the brown one for my birthday. I should have taken a photo of it when it was full of home made caramel apples drizzled in chocolate and crusted with toffee. I was ill after eating them all, but as you can imagine, they were worth every bite. I still want to get a little statue of some sort to put in the middle of the plate so that I can cover the spot where the adhesive shows through.



And the final cost for this low budget, high style renovation?

I've been watching too much HGTV and I'm also not telling. I found the blue plate at a shop in Gardner Village when I was there on Saturday for witches night out. Yes, I went to witches night out. It was intense. It was also really fun. I didn't dress like a witch, but I WAS coerced into doing the macarena with dozens of women who were. Not my proudest moment, but I have no regrets. I was caught up in the excitement and splurged on the plate, which totally broke the budget even though I used my coupon that I won by picking the right potion. It was Witch Hazel, go figure.

I really like them. I'm kind of obsessed with serving pieces lately because, you know, I need them for all the fabulous dinner parties I'm always throwing.

That was a joke. The only dinner parties I throw involve me, my husband, our kids and the actual throwing of food.

8 comments:

Emily Call said...

Yay! They look so pretty! I tried to make one too, but not sure I used the right adhesive? What did you end up using to glue them together? Maybe I just didn't let it dry long enough or maybe I put to much glue on mine... sigh!

Janet said...

Those are cute. Good idea--I think I'll steal it for some Christmas serving platters.

And, yes, "at" is a preposition, but it is just fine to start a sentence with a preposition. The "rule" that is really not a rule at all is that you don't end a sentence with a preposition. The other "rule" that is really not a rule at all is that you don't begin a sentence with a coordinating conjunction. But as you can see, I don't play by the rules that are not really rules at all.

marydalene said...

Ah, Janet beat me to the post about prepositions. But don't say that it isn't really a rule, you'll fire up all those crazy grammar people who say that it still is a rule (And I have a book that proves it.) You made very cute plates. I don't think you need something to cover the adhesive, though, I think the food will cover it without need for something in the middle.

Robinson Family said...

I love your posts! They always make me smile, and I wish I lived closer to get in on the craftiness with you. Love the plates!

Jason&Shannon said...

Nice job you crafter you!

Lynda/Mom said...

Tres successful! I won't comment on the grammar as it has been adequately covered. Besides, no one cares about grammar anymore, and what with texting and e mail, they probably shouldn't.

Grammyzanne said...

What a great idea for serving dishes! What kind of adhesive did you use? The possibilities are endless.

Grammar questions I leave to Janet and Mary.

My favorite though is your last sentence.

hawsfam said...

Yeah, what adhesive did you use? I may need to make one for my mom for Christmas...