Friday, October 9, 2009

jane. jane. jane. jane. jane.

I'm struggling here with Jane and school. It's a lot to adjust to and I've not yet got my sea legs. I'm not sure what protocol is, how do I actually get in touch with her teacher and what do I need to talk to her about? I don't want to appear as though I'm totally aloof, but I don't want to be obnoxiously involved either. I've already decided that even though parent volunteers seem to be sorely needed, I just can't do it. With my two little ones to take care of and their weird schedules and my nerves, I think that it's best that I don't get involved there.

We've also got things like book orders and fundraisers to think about. Jane calls it the "fun-raiser" because it sounds like so much fun, so it about broke her heart when I told her that she would not be participating this year. I meant that she was too little to go around and knock on doors, asking complete strangers to buy overpriced, low quality wrapping paper and tins of chocolate. SHE ended up telling her teacher that she wasn't allowed to have anything to do with it and that her mom told her she couldn't go to the assembly, forcing her teacher to find another classroom for her to sit in while they went. She subsequently came home and cried that she was the "ONLY ONE!" that wasn't allowed. Great. That is so not what I meant. Now her teacher thinks I'm a freak.

And there's the school pictures. I was torn about the school photos. It was as though my sensible mom was in my head telling me things like

"they're overpriced!"
"they never turn out good!"
"you're getting family photos taken later!"
"don't do it!"

But then there was this other, less sensible part of me that thought...

"wait a sec, mom. you paid for school pictures for us for years before you swore off them. who are you to judge? and maybe i want them... maybe."

After throwing away the order form, I ended up going into the office the morning of the photos, getting a new one, writing a check for the cheapest package I could get and calling it good. Maybe, like my mom, I need to learn my lesson the hard way.

As it turns out, even the least expensive package provides you with a lot of smiling faces.



That's a lot of wallets, I don't know what we're going to do with them all. Want one?

So we've got the "funraiser" and the school photos out of the way this year. I'm currently in the process of working on book orders.

Hopefully I learn how to manage all of this soon because right now, I'm feeling bombarded with complications as a result of Jane's education. Who knew?

10 comments:

Sheri said...

Hahahaha....can't stop laughing at your dramatized commentary on real life! Believe me, it only gets better from here ;) You can do this Laura!!!!!!

Kathy said...

Mallory's preschool does Scholastic Book Orders. I have gotten pretty good at them...since I have been doing them for a little over a year now. If you need help let me know. I like Mal to get stuff so I always buy at least one book...then I take it to my friends house with little kids that aren't in school and let them have a go. The one I just turned in was for $253 and my contribution was only $20! The pictures turned out great!

MaryAnn said...

Jane's school picture does look good. I am sure you will figure out all of this school stuff soon. Thanks for the good laugh.

Katie said...

Amen! Every Friday Jolie brings home a folder STUFFED with things I'm supposed to commit to - PTA, fundraisers, science nights, book fairs, car washes, playground cleanup, etc. etc. etc., and every Monday I return it totally empty. Isn't enough that I drag her to school every day fully dressed and mostly alert?? Get off my case!

PS Jane has THE cutest little hairdo

Megan Campbell Carter said...

Very cute pictures! I had a few students whose pictures did not turn out that cute. Personally, my favorite pic option is just the class photo. You'll get the hang of it, I have many parents every year who feel like you do with their oldest in school. lol. They say it gets better each year.

Grammyzanne said...

They are cute pictures of Jane. So often with school fund raisers I think just let me make a small monetary donation and forget all the hassle of the fundraiser. Scholastic Books were/are a weak link for me. It was easier/cheaper in the long run to but the books (always look for the specials)than trying to get books from the library and return them on time. And the teacher gets a bonus for the classroom. We have one Scholastic book that John has scrawled "My Mom's" on. Teacher made them put their names on the books they had gotten and he apparently didn't want anyone think THAT particular book was his choosing.

hawsfam said...

Grace handed out a wallet pic to each girl in her class...I wish they would let you see the picture BEFORE you buy it because one of her two (yes two) poses was TERRIBLE. And her school explicitly says not to go door to door, and to only ask family and friends to participate in fundraisers...so there are some suggestions for ya! cute pictures!

Nikkie said...

You're funny Laura-it's amazing how good you are at expressing the things that go through my head all the time.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I said no to the school pictures this year. Both Jeremiah and Katie came home and told me I had forgotten it was picture day. I hadn't, I just decided to have a lady at church take photos this year. It may be more money, but I don't want all the wallets, and worse yet, the mini-wallets. Plus, they do take pictures in the Spring too and those ones they send home and you keep what you want. So, if we haven't taken photos by then...

Robinson Family said...

I can relate to everything you just posted. We have almost daily fund raisers. They even have a t-shirt they strongly suggest you buy each year for the school play. What happened to dressing nice in your own clothes for a play? I get so tired of all of it and want to know where it all goes, especially since we had to pay $200 in book rental fees for the year (and I only have a kindergartner and 2nd grader). Our school pictures were awful. Carley wore a turquoise shirt, and they turned it a pastel blue. Dallin wasn't even looking at the camera. I think we're done.

Let me know when you figure out all of this because I'm still learning, but I'm getting much better than saying no. It never hurts your children learn they can't have and do everything right?