Monday, March 17, 2008

So what's the deal with trimesters?

If I were a female Jerry Seinfeld (Geri Seinfeld?) I would totally do a stand up routine about trimesters. Of course, then I would have to be a lot funnier and have some skills with stand up comedy. Not going to happen, so instead, I will rant on my blog.



So what's the deal with trimesters? Seriously, they make no sense. I mean, your pregnancy is 40 weeks, which amounts to about 9 calendar months, right? Then why do they insist upon counting your pregnancy in weeks and then divide it into thirds? No sense people!

I am now officially 12 weeks pregnant, which means that I've moved into my 2nd trimester. Don't get me wrong, I like the feeling of having accomplished something, but I'm really not 3 months pregnant yet. At least, not if you check on the calendar and see that my due date is more than 6 months away. This is SO deceiving! Especially when you are pregnant for the first time. You think you're so close, then you realize that the system makes no sense and you've really got another month before this whole thing is finally over. I was so mad because they make you count the months in 4 week intervals, and then you end up being pregnant for 10 months! What a gyp!

I propose that as women, we refuse to allow this to go on. From what I've read, there really isn't any meaning in the trimester system anyway, they are just rough estimates. Like, "once you are into your second trimester, the likelihood of miscarriage significantly decreases." Can't we just say, "once you are around 12 weeks along..." we all know exactly what week we are at any given moment anyway. If we are forced to refer to our pregnancies by the weeks, we should at least have the convenience of making it more sensible and having quarters. It would be much more satisfying because that way we could at least accomplish something every 10 weeks. You have your ultrasound half way through, and your baby is due at the end of them. Done.

I may be a little hormonal right now.

5 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Pretty funny! But it does make sense.

Leslie said...

Women need landmarks. It's like when you're at the end, and really you do everything in your power to convince yourself that you "could" have the baby any day after you hit 38 weeks.

Allman Roca said...

I feel your pain. I am glad that we can all laugh about it or we as women would probably go "postal" on someone. Maybe, we could go crazy on the man that thought of the whole trimester thing!!

Emily Call said...

amen!

Thanks for coming down yesterday. It was so good to see you guys.

hawsfam said...

I disagree on the "knowing what week you are" thing. I have completely forgotten. I know I'm in the 20's somewhere. I have to keep counting back. I think with #3 you stop obsessing and start dreading? ha ha.