Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fun with color

So, we're getting a new front door. Hopefully, it will be here any day and we'll be able to get it installed before Jaime gets super busy again.


Since were ARE getting a new door, I thought it might be a nice opportunity to make a change and vary from my old reliable red.


Doors are fun. They are like the lipstick on your house and it's fun to try out new colors to spice things up. I've been looking at greens and blues (for the house, not my lips), but making very little progress. For like a month, I've had a bunch of paint chips taped to the door and I've thought several times that I should keep a pen out there and let people vote on them since I've made no progress in making my decision and time is starting to run out.

Leslie sent me a photo a while ago of a yellow door with dark hardware (like the kind that I've got sitting around waiting to be installed) and on Saturday, on a whim, I decided to see what yellow would look like. So I grabbed a can of yellow paint that I had left over from a recent project - yes, i have lots of paint left over in lots of different colors and lots of different sheens. want some? brent would like me to start getting rid of it - and slapped it on my existing door just to get a sense of what it would look like.

I only put on one coat, but even then I could feel the effect that the yellow would have on the house. I stepped back and took a good look at what I had done.

As it turns out, painting the door yellow was the best thing that I could have done. Now, I know exactly what I'm going to paint when the new door gets here and one thing is for certain...


It's NOT going to be yellow.

12 comments:

The Call's said...

Is it rude that I am laughing hard out loud? If so I am sorry, but I couldn't help it. I agree with you NO on the yellow!

Svenhardicus said...

MayI be the first to point out the three toilets sitting by the fence in the "before" picture?

The Magpie on the curb is also a nice touch.

Sandy Brunson said...

Definitely no yellow!

Grammyzanne said...

Even given my best efforts to overcome my yellowphobia I too need to say nay to the yellow door.

Lynda/Mom said...

Thank heaven no yellow!! I kept seeing in mind that orangy yellow door on that house down the street near the school. Yuck!! You could do worse than red, and yellow is a step in that direction.

Kriss said...

Phew, I feel relieved!

Sheri said...

hahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Good choice, Yellow is definately not the best match with your house. Red looks good, maybe you should just stay with the red door.

Allison and Nathan said...

I still like the red.

Jillian said...

I like the red. Maybe just make it a different shade of red? Or possibly a green? Although that just may make it look like your front door is a tree...good luck!

Leslie said...

I'll come to the yellow's defense since it's getting a bad rap on your blog. Under the RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES it can be quite fetching. You, however, have displayed in its worst light. That said, I think you were right to stick with the red.

aaron and allee said...

Agreed on the yellow paint, but I just have to tell you that I love your house {and it makes me wish I hadn't settled on this one}! Such a classy design and you have done a lot of great work on it. How long have you lived there?