Monday, May 24, 2010

Reduce, reuse, recycle

So, I don't know that anyone will actually care about what I have to tell you this evening, but I haven't posted in a while and I have something (boring) that I could tell you and so I've decided that I will tell you. I'm assertive like that.


I needed some new throw pillows to adorn some new fancy, shmancy chairs that I've recently acquired. But since I spent all my money purchasing said chairs, it turns out that I don't actually have money for throw pillows. Fortunately for me, I'm very much in tune with my inner crafter, so I just trotted* down to my local Home Fabrics (which is, btw, the very best fabric store ever) and picked up a couple half yards of some uber cheap fabric. $7 on fabric was in the budget. Pillows themselves? notsomuch. In my complaining to my husband about my predicament, he reminded me that I've got tons of pillows hiding in closets and storage rooms in my house that I'm not using anymore and why don't I just go scrounge and dig some up. That husband of mine is a smart man. And that's what I did.

Tonight, I brought up a couple of lumbar pillows that I had covered a couple years ago and tore off the old material and you know what I found? You're going to love this... That wasn't the first time I had recovered those pillows. I showed Brent and he started laughing at me. So I tore off that material and as it turns out, I had covered them before THAT!!!!! I know, right? Freaking hilarious stuff going on over here. It's a party every night, you should all be jealous.

These are the ways I get my thrills, people.

So Brent wanted to document the occasion, and I was perfectly willing to oblige him.


Cheese!


Behold! That's 4 layers of fabric we're talking here.

So, as it turns out, I'm totally green these days. Yup. That's me, the eco-conscious girl next door. Here I am, reusing my pillows over and over and over and over again. People that are wasteful are so not as earth friendly as me. Either that, or I redecorate far too frequently.

Ya, I'm going with the latter.





* (and by "trotted" i mean that i loaded up my three screaming, hungry children and made them come with me to the fabric store AGAIN and they started to cry because they all hate that store and i tried to bribe them to behave with suckers that they just tried to stick to the fabric and then they all ran away from me and started to jump on the rugs and i got dirty looks because the people that work there have specifically asked me to NOT allow my children on the rugs and then they crawled under the sale tables and tried to pull the fabric skirts off of them and i started to yell and maybe cry a little and i finally paid and hurried them all to the door to discover that charlie had a poopy diaper and it really stunk and i didn't have a diaper to change him into and i had to smell the stink all the way home where i ended up being so sick of hearing the kids screaming that i just closed the garage door and let my kids sit in the car for several minutes while i tried to regain some composure.)

3 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

I would have thought you might have found one of the old layers that was now "just right" so you didn't have to use the new fabric at all, but I suppose that would be asking too much. Sorry about your kids at the fabric store, but at least you only had your three and not your two troublesome nephews as well.

Laura Stringham said...

That WOULD have been fun, but no. I actually got them covered tonight. It was nice that my nephews weren't there. They usually are, keep in mind, and then people there know Leslie and I and I swear they roll their eyes every time we walk in the door.

Allison and Nathan said...

Yeah, I've "trotted" to stores before.

Pictures of the pillows please?