Monday, May 10, 2010

Rain

Today, it's been rainy.

By the time I get to June, as a resident of the greater Salt Lake metropolitan area, I'm always a little confounded. I am aware of that fact that the weather in Utah is incredibly reliable in that it offers no reliability at all. One day it's hot in April and you're thinking about turning on the A/C and 2 days later, you're lighting a fire. You have freak snow storms in May sometimes. I am aware of this. Each year I begin bracing myself in March for a long, drawn out Winter. But still, no matter how long you've lived here, after a while you just start to wonder if a higher power just finds it amusing to taunt us with tastes of spring.

Today, it's been rainy.
But yesterday? Yesterday was glorious.

So glorious that Brent ran the sprinklers for the second time this year. BTW, when your sprinklers turn on, are you supposed to her a banging, clanging sound throughout the house? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking we'd better get on that before we have to turn them on again. Good thing that today, it's been rainy.

Anyway, the girls were so excited about the sprinklers that they ran upstairs and before you could say "Bob's your uncle," they reappeared in the their new swimsuits. Never mind their adorable Sunday dresses or their hair that took me all morning to curl (I'm in serious need of some better hairspray, I swear the stuff I have is counterproductive).

I took deep offense at their lack of appreciation.
But after some time and introspection, I decided to forgive them.


Because their swimsuits this year are pretty cute too.
(I'd like to bear my testimony of buying swimsuits and bikes and anything else from Target.)


And, let's face it, my girls are also pretty cute.


And the fact that they were so happy to be playing together on a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon is pretty cute as well.

So you see, for the sake of the cuteness involved, I really HAD to forgive them. And I'm glad that they were able to out and enjoy the warm sun, because today... it's been rainy.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I have the same swimsuit for Piper. Adorable!

Barbara said...

Hang on Laura, it's supposed to be 80 a week from today :)

Lynda/Mom said...

I think this year it is unusually cold and unspringlike. Weather is often measured in averages, and averages are the sum of extremes. When was the last time it was extremely warm in the spring? I just can't keep track. But I prefer to ease into summer rather than encounter it in one great leap.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Those are cute swimsuits (I especially like Liz's...reminds me of suits of yesteryear). Cute girls too, and gotta love those nice sunny days.

Allison and Nathan said...

Laura, you're such a clever writer - I love reading your blog.