Sunday, May 16, 2010

A huge disappointment

Long before I met Brent, he had been thinking of himself as a mt. biker. He loved to be on his bike, still does. He craves it. I believe that when he met me, he had great hopes that together, we would raise a family of dedicated mt. bikers. When we went for our first bike ride together and I spent the first half of it crying as I struggled to haul my bike up the hill and the other half walking it down the hill out of sheer fright, I think he died a little inside. I'm afraid that my children have been equally disappointing in that department.


Case in point: this evening's "bike ride."



When Lizzy wasn't pushing her Barbie trike around Fred Flinstone style, she was dangling, motionless from Jane's bike.


Meanwhile, even though Jane has a bike that fits her, she stole the Barbie trike and did her best to take it at top speed around the circle without banging her knees into the handles.


And Charlie was much more interested in wearing the appropriate protective gear than actually riding anything.


All the while, I just sat on the front porch and complained about how tired I was.

I don't think that these are the kinds of "family bike rides" Brent had in mind.


3 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Give it time! Well,as far as the kids are concerned; I don't suppose there's much hope for the wife. Bikes are great, but there's a limit.

Svenhardicus said...

I'm just glad that I didn't drop $1,500 when we first got married to buy you a nice Stumpjumper mountain bike.

Your hobby is painting rooms different colors several times during the course of a year. Don't get me wrong, our home looks great; it just takes you a while to land on the "final" version.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

As a teenager and even into my college years I always thought I would have a "biking" family (not mountain though). I imagined a bike seat on back of Dad's bike, an older kid trailing behind dad and me pulling a bike trailer with the others. Well, one time of trying to bike with two kids in a bike trailer and I gave up those visions.