Thursday, June 5, 2008

Music to my ears

So, many years ago, my mom bought a very nice piano. She recently decided that she wanted to move it out of Las Vegas because she keeps moving around down there so much and, you know, it's a piano, and is notoriously hard to move. Summit wasn't an option for her and she didn't want it at Daybreak, so until further notice, we are the custodians of the piano. It arrived this morning and I'm pleased to have it in our home. For some reason it seems like every home needs a piano, maybe because I grew up with one. But, no matter how pleased I am to have, it can't compare to Jane's enthusiasm.

Her piano time has been VERY restricted, but she's played every second that I let her. She goes through all the sheet music and "plays" a song, then needs a new song and pulls out different music. She DOES put the other music back where it belongs, so far. She informed me tonight that she is VERY good at playing the piano and that she taught herself to play all in one day and that she will now be accepting students who would like to pay her to teach them. I am willing to bet she'd accept gum or pennies. Interested parties should be warned though, Jane's style is very....... creative? unique? unusual? completely random?



It seems that Lizzy is her first student. Here I think they must have been practicing a duet.



I'd like to extend a formal apology to any neighbors within earshot.

Since Jane was a newborn, she's always responded very strongly to music, I think it's just the type of person she is. I think that I'll take some time with her this summer and maybe (with the help of some entry level books written for 5 year olds) I can remember enough to start teaching her a little something here and there. I may try, but it's likely that her artistic mind won't respond to that kind of structure.

3 comments:

Emily Call said...

How fun. I love the pictures of your girls. They are focusing so hard.

Anonymous said...

Abbie would love to be a student!

Leslie said...

Ah, I remember the days of piano lessons. I would move up the egg timer when I was supposed to be practicing so that an hour would miraculously go by in 20 minutes. Then I could never figure out how mom knew I was cheating.