Wednesday, April 8, 2009

That Darn Cat

We have a cat. Her name is Nina*. Nina is good for a lot of things. She is very useful if you like to be awakened at 4:00 in the morning because she wants to be let outside. She is fabulous at covering pillows, blankets, car seats, bouncy chairs and coats with a carpet of cat hair. She also has a gimpy eye that oozes brown goo sometimes and she likes to rub it on your clothes. But I have to say that out of all her good qualities, the most endearing is her fondness for killing birds.

The birds she kills are always small, unlike our old cat who took out magpies on her good days. Is it just me or does it seem a little cheap to take out something so much smaller than you are? This morning she killed 2 birds and was kind enough to bring them to the door for us. I'm sure it was to make them easier to find, I'll have to thank her for that later. She usually just leaves them in the grass or the playhouse or somewhere for the children to find and poke at and then come screaming.

Lizzy was kind enough to inform me this morning... "Mom! Nina kill birdie!"


the morning's casualties

The kids wanted to go out and play, but I wasn't about to let them out there with two (I'm going to assume) diseased, dead birds hanging out on the porch. I tried to follow Brent's example and pick them up with a shovel to dispose of them. It was harder than it looked. It was like trying to pick up a limp noodle. Lucky for me, one of my favorite people, Brooklyn (more on her later), is hanging out at our house today. She was happy to take care of it for me.



ew.

After she also failed to pick them up with the shovel, she took a much more... practical route and just grabbed the little corpses. I gagged, but I'm sure glad she was here to take care of the dirty work.



Nina: bird murderer. This is the face of a cold blooded killer. No remorse at all.



*Our old cat was named Abby. My mom has a cat named Sadie. I will have all cousins with children bearing the same names know that we did not name our cats after your kids, you named your kids after our cats. They all feel very honored. :)



Edited to say: For the record, the reason that I have a cat is because I love her. Yes, she drives us a little crazy, but she is really quite sweet and affectionate. Plus, she still has a kitty face, which is super cute.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I bet Sadie the cat is just as sweet as Sadie my girl. :)

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

We had a large, dead pigeon near our front porch the other day. I waited for Jason to come home and remove the bird. He carried it with his hands after I had told the kids not to touch it. I wonder next time there is a dead animal what will be followed, my lecture about diseased dead animals or jason's example. I think I know. Gag.

scott said...

I have long been against animals in general, cats in particular. This story just confirms that I am right. Any cuteness is far overshadowed by the hair, dead birds, nasty brown goo, wanting out in the middle of the morning, and any other annoying gualities. But to each his own.

MaryAnn said...

I tend to agree with Scott. I believe most of the Carters take after our mother and have a strong dislike against animals. Tim tells me I am cold hearted. Maybe that is true, but don't I already have enough to clean up after?

Lynda/Mom said...

OK, Laura. First, there is a good chance the birds are diseased--just unlucky. Second, I have been told that the cats deliver the birds to your door as an offering and an acknowledgement that you are the provider. Remember the mouses Abby used to bring alive into the house? Same story. I am sorry about the birds--as I have told you, my grandfather Lawrence used to shoot cats because he preferred the birds, and the cats killed the birds. Pick them up with plastic bags and you don't have to touch them.

Lynda/Mom said...

I should proof better--There is a good chance the birds are NOT diseased.

Barbara said...

All I can say is I look forward to the day when all beings, man and beast, will "lie down together in peace." I like animals--all of them (not to say I want them in my house), but there is a lot of carnage associated with them. Life is cruel!!