Wednesday, April 1, 2009

When I get a brand new hairdo...

Have you ever noticed how many women blog about their hair? I'm a total hypocrite when it comes to hair posts because if I know you, I'm actually very interested in your hair. Want me to vote on a new style? Yes, PLEASE! Want to show me before and afters? I'm so there.

But if I don't know you, that is, if I have intruded into your private life via your personal blog where you share things that are intended only for your loved ones, I will judge you, harshly, for being so vain as to think that I (the uninvited stranger) care about what color your highlights are this month. Ya, I'm a TOTAL hypocrite...

and I will now proceed to blog about my hair.

I think that every woman should have their thing that makes them feel girly, girls need that. Some do their nails or buy makeup or shoes. For me, it's my hair. I spend a lot of money on my hair. Between the cuts, the shampoo and the products, let's just say that I don't tell Brent how much I spend. I hate to admit that in case you think that it always looks bad. Brent used to work with a woman that was still sporting a mullet or "femullet," if you will. When we found out from her husband that she forked out over $60 a month to keep up that unsightly 'do, we about died. Anyway, my thing is my hair. There will be no GreatClips or SuperCuts stylist anywhere near my brunette locks, thankyouverymuch. I'm one of a trillion women with a head full of insecurities and I think that my hair is my best feature, so I act accordingly.

Considering how much time I obviously spend thinking about hair, I'm surprised to have realized that I've been in a hair rut for the past several years. Observe:


Summer 06'


Summer 07'


Summer 08'

I decided it was high time for a slight modification and made an appointment to go in last week.

Problem is that since I go to such an expensive (and skilled) stylist and I am NOT made of money, I end up stretching out my cuts as far apart as I can get away with, sometimes longer. I know, I make no sense. And the hair stylists are always way cooler, and more beautiful than I am. They are all into fashion and music, they spend the whole hour I'm there talking about the awesome party/club/show they went to over the weekend and what they're planning to do at the gym that night and what cool vacation they have planned, just to start.

Then there's me. The stay at home mom living in Sandy, Utah.

So I before I go, I feel compelled to take hours to prepare myself for the experience. I try to make my overgrown hair look half way decent (so that it can immediately be washed), put on makeup for the first time all week and go through my entire closet in an effort to assemble an outfit that will make me look as fashionable as possible. It does no good. They all see right though me and I know it. Last week when I was there, I had the humiliating experience of being asked what kind of music I listen to. The coolest thing I could think of at the moment was the Killers at which point my stylist informed me that the last time they played here, they performed at Saltair and since he knows the owners (of course) he got box seats and so on. Ya, I get it. I'm not cool.

It's worth it though.


yes, i took this photo of myself and yes, i felt weird which is why i couldn't look at the camera. i don't mind the armpit pic (as i understand they are known) when i'm not the only person in the photo. i'm not even entirely sure you can get a good idea of what my hair looks like.

The reason that I'm moved to the point of posting about by my cut is that I don't really actually have to do my hair. For my whole life, I had board straight hair until Lizzy was born. Since then it's been all wavy and when it is cut this short, it requires only a little encouragement to give me a finished product. It's dramatically cutting down on the amount of time it takes me to get ready in the morning (or afternoon) which I always very much appreciate.

So there you have it. I have just blogged about my hair, several photos included. Judge away. I can take it.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I love your hair. Right now my hair is losing its curl and is VERY gray! You always look great!

MaryAnn said...

I have always thought your hair looked good, Laura, and your new cut is very cute. I also totally feel you on the whole hair vibe - my hair is the one thing I splurge on. And yet it still does not look as good as yours. Maybe I need the number of your stylist.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Your hair is gorgeous, it is a fashionable style. I am to insecure about my hair, clothes, music, etc. to ever step into a fancy salon. I guess that is why my hair looks the way it does, awful...especially with the humidity here. Gag.

Leslie said...

I'm liking the new cut. I'm feeling a hair rut too, so I'm thinking of going Katie Holmes for my next cut.

Sandy Brunson said...

Very cute! And you will get no judgment here as I'm sure I posted at least twice about my own hair and will probably keep on posting about it. Splurging on hair cuts is totally worth it. I made the mistake of telling Jacob how much I spend per cut and he was appalled, I'm sure. I then quickly informed him it was worth it and I planned on continuing to do it.

Sheri said...

Laura, you are always cool to me. And it isn't because of what you are wearing or what kind of music you listen to...it is because you are cool on the inside. Love ya...and love the new do.

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

LOVE it.

Katie said...

I don't just like it. I'm printing it out to copy.

kennan said...

gorge..... i love it. i just did a new do myself and am loving it.

do you see dave at lunatic? if you go to lunatic i agree with the nonsense that goes on there. when i asked for a gossip magazine at my last appointent my stylist told me they don't have them anymore, they are against their "culture". gag, i was totally sick to my stomach and wished i didn't love her so much that i needed to go to that salon.

anyway, its perfection.