Thursday, April 24, 2008

The awful state of the world

Yesterday, Jane was in the car with Brent and me as we drove by a Sonic that was being torn down. I mentioned to Brent that it was weird that they were tearing it down and Jane took immediate interest.
"I don't see it" she said.
"that's because there's not much left of it" I replied.
Then the questions really started coming...
"why would they tear down a Sonic?"
"Are they going to tear down the Sonic by our house?"
"I would be sad if they tore down our Sonic."
Her questions and comments became increasingly intense and concerning to her. We reassured her that no one was going to take our Sonic away, that it made plenty of money and we'd be able to go get Sonics whenever we wanted to. It seemed of little comfort. After a minute she started with...
"what will happen if they tear down the shoe and clothes stores and we can't buy shoes and clothes anymore? What will we wear?"
Have you ever met a 3 year old so concerned about these things? Again we told her that no one was going to tear down the stores and that even if they did, Mommy would learn how to sew better to make her some clothes. It was quite an interesting conversation with Jane that I didn't want to forget. More importantly, it goes to show that Jane and I may like our happy hour Sonic drinks a little too much.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I dig that girl!

Allman Roca said...

I'm with Jane...leave the poor Sonic alone!! A world with no Route 44's I think I would die!