Wednesday, April 2, 2008

When I woke up Saturday...

...I pretty much thought it would be like any other day. Little did I know that Brent had other plans.
Let me start out with some background info... We bought our house about 5 years ago and were told by everyone who has lived here for a while that they gave us 5 years and 3 kids before we grew out and needed a larger house. Apparently that has been the story with this home as long as anyone can remember. Admittedly, we feel a little tight and the thought of adding another body to the place doesn't help. I've also had a lot of complaints about the design of the house (a split entry) because it doesn't allow Jane, and soon Lizzy, access to the yards to play and when they are out, I am always there because I can't see them. We have talked about eventually remodeling or this or that to try to make it work. We've done a TON of work on it to make it just the way I like it so that I would at least love what it looked like even if it was awkward for us.
Well Brent was thinking about this all Friday night while I was peacefully sleeping and felt like he should check in the circle above our street for homes for sale. The next morning he felt the same way and so he went. Surprise, surprise, there was a house that was just listed. He showed me the info and it seemed like it would be just right for our growing family, so we called the agent. She happened to be in the area and the family was out of town, so we went over right then to look at it. Anyway, after a lot of talking and thinking and praying, we're buying it. Bizarre! I was SO not planning to do this right now!



This is it!



After several coats of paint, this would be Jane and Lizzy's room. It's a huge 'bonus room' over the garage that is being used as a play room, but we'll stick some beds in there too so that I can have a nursery and an upstairs office for my Lou Lou stuff. Jane just looks at this photo over and over and talks about where her bed will go and her kitchen, etc. etc. She's been through the IKEA catalog and picked out her bed and dresser and bedding and toys and the color of the walls. The girl is a little too much like me.

Design wise, it isn't my taste. For example, here's the master bath...



but in time I hope to be able to change that. It will be SO hard for me to leave my new kitchen and carpet and bathroom and my kids rooms that I worked so hard on, but this could be a new adventure, right? I'll certainly have plenty to keep me busy with Leslie's house that needs a lot of work and my mom's house that STILL has no draperies hung (sorry Mom) and a new baby and watching Ben this summer while Leslie studies for the Bar. Am I insane? (please don't answer that question). None the less, I've finally been able to get excited about moving, or rather, I've been able to get excited about designing a new space. Moving and selling this house is another story. So if any knows a person that wants a really nice house in a really nice neighborhood, please send them our way. And wish us luck, we're going to need it.

5 comments:

jared and mary 2 said...

It looks very nice. Must be quite exciting. A bit of primer will cut down the number of coats of paint you'll need. Oh, and good luck.

Anonymous said...

My oh my do the sellers like bright primary colors! Is there a red room? Primer will be your best friend. The outside of the house is quite attractive. It looks like there might even be a fenced backyard. Sounds like this is a good house for you.

Good luck selling your current house. You've done enough modernizing that I would imagine it will sell quickly - maybe even as quickly as the one you are buying.

BTW - you are not insane - you and Brent are smart enough to listen and follow promptings even if it does seem like poor timing. But you will be moved in before your little one arrives and that is good. Moving with an infant is HARD - trust me on that one, I've done it twice.

Emily Call said...

Congrats!!!! I can't believe you didn't mention this to me at lunch yesterday. :) That is so exciting. We had a fun time yesterday.

hawsfam said...

Moving while pregnant is NOT fun, but at least you don't have to do any heavy lifting:)

Allman Roca said...

Yea!!
We are so excited for you. The house looks like it has good bones. And we know you will decorate it all up and make it darling. Paintis easy to fix. Congrats!!!