Friday, November 28, 2008

So THAT'S what those big parking lots are for

I went shopping this morning. It was a sight to behold, something that I couldn't possibly have been prepared for. You see, I've never been much of a Black Friday shopper mostly because my mom wasn't. For my entire childhood and through college, we spent every Thanksgiving with my dad's family in Kelseyville, a tiny town in northern California with a population that must be in the hundreds. There weren't a whole lot of door busters there. We have been spending Thanksgiving closer to home for the last few years and so last year, I thought I'd check out this whole early morning shopping thing. I set my alarm and was prepared to go. When my alarm went off the next morning, it was WAY to early and I slept in for another hour or so and then headed out without any real design or place to go. I mostly just wanted to see what it was all about. I don't think that I bought anything at all.

This year, I was determined. I made my mom drive around to several stores yesterday looking for a newspaper to make sure I had the ads. I had everything mapped out and I was going to be there at 5:00 AM to make sure that I got a particular gift for Jane. The alarm went off, I got up, got dressed, fed the baby and got to the store before they opened. It was a lot of work for nothing. There must have been like 5 Leapsters in the store because by the time I even got back there, they were all gone. These people are die hard, I totally underestimated the determination of an indivual looking for a good deal. Now, it's not even 7:00 and I am left with no Leapster, a massive headache, a stomach ache from eating a greezy (and delicious) hashbrown from McDonald's WAY too early in the morning and the prospect of my kids waking up at any moment. On the bright side, I did get a bunch of half priced socks, which is a lot more rewarding than I had anticipated. I'm not sure I'll be doing this again next year. Oh who am I kidding? Next year, I'll just have to get up at 3:00.

...and Lizzy's awake.

5 comments:

Emily Call said...

oh the joys! I just got home from shopping. The Leapsters at Walmart went so fast. Holly got one at Smith's Marketplace...lucky.
I love black Friday, I mostly love being out and seeing people run and scream and dive for things. ha ha.

Lynda/Mom said...

That was way funny. I was awake off and on all night and wondered if you had gotten up. Live and learn, I guess.

MaryAnn said...

Too funny! I did go shopping today, but I did not leave my house until 9:30 am. I still found everything I was looking for except one item and I did not have to deal with the crazy crowds! Good look next year.

Robinson Family said...

I usually go out myself, and it is pretty crazy around here. Somehow, I convinced Ryan to go this year. Maybe because he's used to getting up at 4 am to teach seminary. We didn't get many things we planned on, but came away with some we hadn't and probably don't need. Michelle and I went to JoAnn's later in the morning and waited in line for an hour to cut fabric and another hour to pay for it. The worst part was that they didn't even let me use my coupon in the end. Madness.

Jenny R said...

I avoided black Friday for years after I quit working in retail. It is pure hell if you are working that day! Not so bad as a shopper. I am afraid I like my sleep too much. I will not be there at 5:00 am to save even $30.