Saturday, September 13, 2008

Oh the shame!

First of all, this is a post about pregnancy. If you are sick of reading about my pregnancy or uncomfortable with terms like "cervix" and "dilate" then I would suggest that you stop here. I would also suggest that you are not a mother since us women sure like talking 'bout birthin' babies.

Yesterday was horrible. I woke up at about 3:30 Friday morning with contractions. They continued to get stronger until at about 12:30 when I decided that it was time to go to the hospital. I called in the troops and told them that I thought I was going to be having this baby today. You have to understand that I'm really quite rational and I thought about it and timed and thought about it, I mean, I've given birth before, so it's not like I have no idea what a contraction feels like. Everyone in my family dropped everything to travel up here and take care of me and my kids while Brent and I headed for the hospital. Well... after spending ALL afternoon at the there, I wasn't making any progress and so followed the walk of shame. I was sent packing. I was SO embarrassed! I swore I would never be one of those women.

As if that wasn't enough, the contractions never let up and later that night they were about 3 minutes apart and getting REALLY painful, so I went back. The girls went over to my parents house to stay the night. I was sure that this time it was for real. Not so much. Thank goodness that the nurse on last night was so helpful. She explained to me that my cervix is very posterior, so even though I was having contractions, it wasn't putting any pressure on the cervix and was therefore all an exercise in futility. She said that the only thing that was going to get the cervix to soften enough to start dilating more was hardcore labor, otherwise, my body would just give up after a while, like it did this time. If I wasn't so posterior, I probably would have progressed fine and had that baby this weekend... so my thought is... why didn't they just let me have this baby?! I mean, I was trying! If they had just broken my water, I'd have gotten along just fine, that's what's happened the last 2 times I've done this. Instead, I'm at home, having taken the walk of shame twice in the same day, I'm still contracting and uncomfortable and I'll likely stay this way until my induction date. Come on body, this pathetic showing is completely unacceptable. I expect more from you.

8 comments:

MaryAnn said...

So sorry about having to do the walk of shame twice and about still being pregnant. Hopefully things will work out soon and you will have that kid. I feel for you. At lease it made a funny story.

Emily Call said...

I was so sad to hear this! Hang in there. Eat fresh pineapple... it is supposed to soften your cervix. I swear by it. I ate tonz of it with both of my babies and I had them both early. And if it doesn't work, at least it tastes good and is healthy for you!

Cameron said...

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo....

Kriss said...

I agree, they should've just broken your water. I've never taken the walk of shame, but feel horrible that you had to do it!

Sandy Brunson said...

Oh my word...you are so funny! Seriously the video at the end killed me. And I am also sorry about the "false" labor and 2 time walk of shame.

Leslie said...

Oh, the walk of shame. At least you KNOW you can only be pregnant for one more week. Until then, keep eating pineapple.

Barbara said...

Personally, I think it's the people at the hospital who should be ashamed. For the life of me I can't understand why they so cavalierly ignore the information they get from a woman who has already had two children and assume they know best. Hang in there!!

Allman Roca said...

I feel your pain. I did the walk of shame when I was preggers with Judd. And when I went back(a day and a half later) I was dialated to a 6. The nurse almost crapped in her scrubs. I hope the same happens for you. Third times a charm, right?