Wednesday, January 16, 2008

2007 is SO last year...

Since I largely use this blog as a family journal, I wanted to go write down some of our memories and events from the past year. I don't remember dates for everything, but I'll try to at least get things in chronological order.

The first major event of the year that I really took note of was the birth of Leslie and Cameron's first baby, Benjamin Barron Jackson, in March. I have some photos of his birth, but he wasn't looking all that good since they are from the delivery room, so I thought I'd post this one when he was a week old.

Four weeks later, in April, we welcomed our second daughter, Elisabeth Stringham. She was such a little, tiny thing when she was born and we couldn't get enough of her.

Here are a couple of my favorite photos of Lizzy from this year..



In May, we welcomed the arrival of IKEA to Draper! Yes, having an IKEA in Draper in definitely a noteworthy event in my life. At that point, we finally decided to remodel our kitchen. We had been talking about it for a long time and for some reason, I thought that it would be the perfect time to rip up the house when I had a newborn. With some great help from our family and Brent's mad skills, we did the whole thing ourselves. Brent (and John and Cameron and Danielle) tore out the old cabinets, refinished the hardwoods, built and installed all the new IKEA cabinets, installed the backsplash and did everything else (other than the counter tops). Here's a photo from the chaos and one that I took after the kitchen was functional once again. Brent STILL hasn't completely finished it. Maybe this May...


During the course of the summer, we found a snake in our yard. I just thought that was funny, or unusual or just downright frightening. I don't know, you decide. I know it was just a little garden snake, but snakes and me don't mix. Brent tracked it into my garden beds, so I probably would have fainted if it had been there when I was weeding or something. We had some neighbors come check it out and one of them took it home after it was named 'Lucky.' I wonder how Lucky is now...


In July, all the Barrons congregated in southern Utah for a little family reunion of sorts. We see each other so often that it hardly seems worth calling it a family reunion, but it kinda felt like one. We went to Bryce Canyon, which was way fun.

As soon as we got back, Jane turned 3. We had a fun little party for her. A Princess Party, of course, on our new deck that was built right before Lizzy was born. Our old one was REALLY bad. Jane called it the 'scary deck,' so we upgraded for an awesome new one.


August was a BIG month for our family. First thing that happened is John and Danielle got married. Danielle's mom did an amazing job with everything. Their yard was beautiful, the food was amazing, the decorations were amazing and not to mention that the bride and groom looked amazing. I've never seen my little brother look so good or so happy.


Jane was a (very tired) flower girl. I was NOT impressed with her flower throwing skills. I had to drag her down the aisle and throw most of the flowers myself. Poor show Jane.


Shortly after the wedding, Brent decided that after 6 years of working with his family at McDonald's, he was going to change careers. It was a BIG deal in our family. It took a lot of thought and prayer and more prayer and more prayer. We finally decided that the time was right and so he started looking. It must have been meant to be since he got the job at the first place that he interviewed. He now really enjoys his new position as the cost accountant at Stampin' Up! It would be torture to me, but for some reason he thinks that dealing with that kind of stuff all day is great and we are so happy with it. Emily, tell Justin thanks for me! :)

Brent also turned 31 in August, which makes him totally old. I can't believe he's over 30!

In September, our little Jane started preschool. Oh how I love preschool, and Jane does too. Since she attends a charter school, she wears this adorable little uniform and I can't even stand it! This is a picture from her first day at school.

In October, I turned 27. I remember when 25 seemed so old and now I'm 27! Jane and Lizzy were SO cute for Halloween. Jane was a little ladybug and Lizzy was a chick! I LOVED them in their costumes so much!


About the same time, I started selling baby accessories in a little business that I call Lou Lou Designs. It kept me SO busy through the holidays that the rest of the year felt like such a blur! Thanksgiving was at my parents newly finished home in Daybreak, which we love to get together at. We also had Christmas there and spent New Year's in Summit, which was also remodeled this year allowing each family their own room.

I have to say that 2007 was a great year. Hooray for 2007!

4 comments:

Emily Call said...

Wow, looks like you guys had a great year! I am so glad that Brent got the job at Stampin' Up! because it has been so fun getting to know you guys.

Anonymous said...

I am impressed, Laura. I really don't know where you find time to do everything!! It was a good year. Love you, Sweetie. Thanks for helping us remember. Mom

Cameron said...

I remember thinking that picture of Ben was so cute when we took it. Now I think he kind of looked like an old man. Did I have an old man baby?!

Laura Stringham said...

I remember taking that picture too and thinking it was cute. You MAY have had an old man baby. Now you just have a toddler baby.