Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mission Accomplished

I am wondering why I am sitting here at my computer less than an hour after all of Jane's friends have gone home from her birthday party. If I were a more sensible person, I would be cleaning up the chocolate cake crumbs off of the rug before they really make a mess. I, however, am not a very sensible person and I want to sit and veg, so here I am.

Jane turns 4 on Friday. "Four on July 25th" she's been telling people for the last several months. I decided to have her party today so that her friends (for the most part) would be in town. Honestly, I'm not much of a party thrower and I dread doing this every year, but Jane knows that her friends get parties and if she doesn't get one, I'd hate to see the disappointment. This is a particularly hard year since I'm not quite myself right now. I keep telling people that I'm totally in survival mode and I'm pretty much just taking the path of least resistance with everything. So... here's how you throw a party for a 4 year old girl, last minute, with the least amount of effort possible.



First of all, you start out with a princess theme. It's VERY easy to throw a princess party.




I wanted to make cupcakes, but I couldn't find my tins, so we made a regular one. I bought the pink frosting and Jane decorated it with the stuff we already had in the house.



They had this pinata at Target. I happened to have had a craving for sugar a couple weeks ago and bought like a 10 lb. bag of candy from Costco. As soon as I got home, I started wondering what I was going to do with all the candy. Well, we stuffed the princess pinata with it. It was a lucky pregnancy craving I guess.




I was pleased that I had had some foresight several months ago and bought these little crown crafty things from Joann's when I saw them there one day. They were super easy and the girls seemed to like them.



We were going to have ice cream, but I forgot to buy some. Oops. No one seemed to notice.

I made the girls clean up the paper from the gifts and their plates.



Oh yes, you must also try to get the baby down for a nap. Lizzy slept through the whole thing, making it a lot easier on me. Here's a picture of my beautiful baby before nap time.

Our goody bags were filled with candy from the pinata, some Lou Lou clippies and stickers that were purchased at the same time as the crafty crowns. Add an hour of my time and there you have it. Birthday party accomplished. It went well and I'm so glad that Jane has so many cute friends to come celebrate with her. Brent will be home on Friday to treat Jane to more celebrating on her real birthday.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Does Lizzy always drink her bottle with her pinky finger sticking up like that? Ha ha. It looks like Jane had a blast. Good work.

Sheri said...

I am so proud of you! I am a much worse mom, I would say to my kids,"If you don't have a birthday party I will give you $50" after they became teenagers I upped it to $100. A small price to pay to not deal with all the stress birthday parties can bring. Okay so now everyone knows what a loser I am!

Lynda/Mom said...

I wrote a nice comment earlier, but the blogger said it was down and couldn't take my message. So much for that!! Glad for you it's over. Love, Mom

Jana Sohm said...

Thanks for the party today! Abby said she had tons of fun!! She loved her bag full of candy! Don't you just love pinatas- instant party favors! The clips were darling too. We need to be paying you for those!!